43086Re: Universal sugar mash mark III

    Jul 3, 2008
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mavnkaf" <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

      > Hi Riku and Mason, Interesting observation about the tomatos.
      > Remember Harry's recipe #666, Notes #3 and #4;
      >
      > Snip........................
      >
      > "#3. Magnesium ions are essential signalling regulators that
      > stimulate yeast growth and more importantly, they trigger yeast to
      > manufacture enzymes which in turn starts the sugar breakdown and
      > conversion process. Magnesium ions cannot cross the yeast cell
      > membrane in their existing form. They need available protein to
      > combine with as a carrier. When available magnesium is limited,
      yeast
      > shows markedly reduced growth rates. This may be a cause of poor,
      > sluggish or stuck fermentations.
      >
      > #4. Tomato paste is another source of essential vitamins and
      minerals
      > (particularly vit.C, a catalyst in mineral uptake by yeast). It
      also
      > contains moderate quantities of protein (10g-15g per cup) which as
      > mentioned before is essential to magnesium uptake."
      >
      > Snip.........................
      >
      > I hope this relevent?
      >
      > Cheers
      > Marc
      >
      > Ps. Riku, my AFC stripper still is nearly ready to test:)

      Yep, you nailed it Marc. One won't work without t'other. I
      think 'synergy' is the word we're looking for.

      Riku, I would repitch the yeast as you've already stressed the
      original yeast and its action will be unpredictable. Because its
      stressed it will also be making nasty things, so if you intend to
      save the wash from the drain, make sure you only distil it to recover
      neutral alcohol, not for the flavour.

      You guys are doing the right thing. In all experimentation, only
      change ONE variable at a time & then record the results. Then adjust
      the fermentation with what you consider to be the remedy and record
      that also. It's all trial and error, but it's the only way to figure
      out things successfully. Good work.