42733Re: juniper berries

  • mavnkaf
    Jun 4, 2008
      Thanks Bob for that. The Juniper bush I got said it will grow 1 1/2
      feet in 10 years:( I think I got the wrong one.

      It looks like I'll be buying the dried stuff for a while. On the
      other hand I think I'll go walkabout looking in peoples front/back
      yards for any Conifers.

      Cheers
      Marc

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
      wrote:

      > Marc,
      >
      > I can't speak directly to which variety the English gin makers use,
      but my juniper berries come from Albania, and are supplied by
      Penzey's Spice Company, a favorite of mine. My friends and I all
      agree the gin is good.

      > Bendistillers, in central Oregon's high forested country,
      advertises that they pick the juniper for their acclaimed gin from
      the local national forest, which makes that variety Western juniper,
      Juniperus Occidentalis. That gin has devoted followers.

      > Just a couple of data.Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > To: Distillers@...: mavnkaf@...: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:54:13
      +0000Subject: [Distillers] Re: juniper berries

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@> wrote:>>
      You will need more fresh berries due to their moisture content.>
      Possibly 3 times as much as dried berries.> walThanks Wal for your
      input, Info saved, Also, Can I ask if you know the sub Species of
      Juniperus communis, that is used by the Gin makers? Any which way,
      Thanks!CheersMarc

      > Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage.
      > http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?
      ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_062008

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic