41739Re: Making whisky

  • abbababbaccc
    Mar 2, 2008
      I've noticed this too and it makes me wonder, is heads cut really
      necessary at all? Now those traditonal distilleries in Scotland
      recycle their heads over and over again. Eventually they should get
      so concentrated with lower boiling point components that in practise
      all the stuff from the mash gets to the middle cut. Of course the
      final product won't have that taste as lot's of heads from the
      whiskey evaporates as angels share. As we all know low temperature
      evaporation hits heads components the hardest. Another thing is that
      the oak itself converts many unwanted congeners to more palatable
      compunds.

      This made me remember, I have somewhere two quarts of whiskey on oak
      that I madde without the heads cut. I may have to sample that one of
      these days, maybe even apply the low temperature evaporation
      principle to that and see how it turns out.

      Cheers, Riku

      > I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right
      taste.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic