41738Re: Making whisky

  • jamesonbeam1
    Mar 2, 2008
      In 100% agreement there Bob,

      I always mix alot of heads in with the middle run for the right taste.

      Its just kinda sad though that a few folks here dont understand or
      appreciate some of the benifits of them "ancient, old fashioned,
      simple pot stills".

      ToddK, pretty much stated it in the previous posting on this subject:

      "I admire and respect Smiley for much of his book on corn whiskey,
      but when it comes to his method of reflux still and cuts, I never
      could do it either. So I tried simple pot stilling and have never
      gone back.

      Good Luck,
      Todd K."

      BTW, my father was in the Navy in WWII and used to tell stories of
      how the sailors would bribe them submariners for their
      famous "torpedo juice" (believe it was the Type 42s that ran off of
      ethanol), mix it with orange drink powder and have "TP parties" lol.

      A Votra Sante Aussi.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
      wrote:
      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: jamesonbeam1@...
      > Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 03:48:53 +0000
      > Subject: [Distillers] Re: Making whisky
      >
      > Hey, Jim,
      >
      > I hear ya, but I'm ok with the fact that some large percentage of
      us are using
      > whiz-bang engineering to produce what's essentially V2 rocket fuel.
      It's just that
      > it seems like a whole lot of work to make something I don't want;
      vodka is my
      > *least* favorite booze. True, I use my "neutral" stuff to make gin
      and liqueurs,
      > but mostly I can get that from redistilled feints.
      >
      > The only times the refluxers get just a *bit* of my goat is when
      they assume we
      > are all refluxers, and that it's the *only* sensible thing to do.
      >
      > Also it cracks me up to hear that, even when tuned to the gills to
      produce the
      > azeotrope, some have to carbon filter to remove bad flavors. My
      hearts, and I'll
      > bet yours also, are smooth and sweet right out of the condenser,
      with *zero*
      > bad flavors, even if they*do* get better with time, oxygen, and
      oak. I don't
      > know how many times I've had newbies with me on a still run,
      especially a spirit
      > run, express amazement at how that white stuff at the outlet
      compares so well
      > with their favorite booze.
      >
      > So, let's just suffer the slings and arrows, and tip a glass of
      that gorgeous
      > brown stuff to each other.
      >
      > Here's lookin' up yer old address.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob,
      > a simple potstiller
      >

      > Sigh Zymurgy Bob,
      >
      > Looks like folk such as us are in the wrong world here... Maybe
      > they should change the name of this forum to "Distillers - For
      Reflux
      > Beverage Ethanol Distillers" :(:(:(
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      > Jim.