41721Re: Making whisky

  • rye_junkie
    Mar 1, 2008
      Hello Peter,
      I am not familiar with the 2 cup design but I am with the slant plate
      design and making whiskey with it. Jim is correct. Ditch the
      packing. It strips most if not all of the flavor and you will never
      get the output ABV below 90%. The packing causes too much reflux. If
      you have a needle valve to control output and reflux, set it to about
      10-15ml/minute for your spirit run. This should result in an ABV of
      78-82%. With proper use of the needle valve it is possible to achieve
      75-80%abv in a single run without packing you just have to collect
      very slowly and pay very close attention to your cuts. I have found
      that 2 runs is the way to go.

      Mason

      > Welp Peter,
      >
      > Being a simple pot stiller meself, but have been makin lots of Sourmash
      > Whiskey, I beleive you need to run that Boka still without any packing
      > and wide open = just like a pot still. Forget the packing and refux
      > condenser, just use the primary to collect. Depending on the abv of
      > you mash and input temp, your stripping runs should only run about 50
      > to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.) Then do the
      > spirits run to make the cuts (diluting the low wines a bit).
      >
      > However, your best bet is to talk to some of the people here that run
      > Bokas and ask them the exact method to do this.
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      > Jim.
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > tried making my first batch. Ran 3 beer stripping runs of 25 lts
      > > getting approx 2.5/3 ltrs per run. Added all to spirit still (33ltr
      > > pot bokakob two cup still 43" column with structured copper packing
      > and
      > > a 1500 watt cooking element. Went through the normal start up up to
      > > 78c and started collecting slowly to remove heads. Could not drop
      > ABV
      > > from approx 93 whatever I tried faster/slower take off/reduced heat.
      > > Can anyone advise as to whats went wrong. Product has a kinda
      > > firewater flavour (yuk). Any advice will be much appreciated.
      > > Regards
      > > PC

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic