41718Re: Making whisky

  • jamesonbeam1
    Mar 1, 2008
      Welp Peter,

      Being a simple pot stiller meself, but have been makin lots of Sourmash
      Whiskey, I beleive you need to run that Boka still without any packing
      and wide open = just like a pot still. Forget the packing and refux
      condenser, just use the primary to collect. Depending on the abv of
      you mash and input temp, your stripping runs should only run about 50
      to 55% for the low wines (least my little pot still does.) Then do the
      spirits run to make the cuts (diluting the low wines a bit).

      However, your best bet is to talk to some of the people here that run
      Bokas and ask them the exact method to do this.

      Vino es Veritas,
      Jim.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter442737" <peter.coleman20@...>
      wrote:

      > tried making my first batch. Ran 3 beer stripping runs of 25 lts
      > getting approx 2.5/3 ltrs per run. Added all to spirit still (33ltr
      > pot bokakob two cup still 43" column with structured copper packing
      and
      > a 1500 watt cooking element. Went through the normal start up up to
      > 78c and started collecting slowly to remove heads. Could not drop
      ABV
      > from approx 93 whatever I tried faster/slower take off/reduced heat.
      > Can anyone advise as to whats went wrong. Product has a kinda
      > firewater flavour (yuk). Any advice will be much appreciated.
      > Regards
      > PC

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic