40346Re: Maraschino

    Sep 6, 2007
      Going by memory, Luxardo press the local sour cherries, ferment and
      fortify with spirit when there is still some residual sugars
      stopping the fermentation to make a fortified cherry wine. They then
      soak the cherry pomace and some of the crushed cherry stones/pits in
      50% abv and redistill, add sugar to make their Maraschino (which
      originally was called a rosolio). Originally Luxardo made their
      rosolio in Marasca before the Croats ethnically 'cleansed' the area.
      The Croats make a similar product in the area.
      wal

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Rowley"
      <moonshinearchives@...> wrote:

      > The alcoholists over at eGullet.org have an ongoing discussion of
      > maraschino/maraska
      > that's that's more about using it rather than making it, but it's
      > definitely worth checking out
      >
      > http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=61096&hl=
      >
      > At any given time, I'm likely to have bottles of Luxardo's
      > maraschino,cherry Heering, and kirschwasser at home. All
      delicious, all
      > withdifferent uses...
      >
      > ~ Matt

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic