40121Re: Stainless Steel Pure Grain StillI

  • polaris041
    Aug 7, 2007
      Good effort pint.
      Is that a liebic on the side to cool your product.
      What temp does it come out of the still and out of the liebic.
      The sight glass could be fixed by lowering it a bit, then the level
      of the liquid would be easily seen on the glass.
      regards pol

      -- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pint_o_shine" <pintoshine@...>
      wrote:

      > I finished it and I did the commissioning run last night.
      > I charged it with 26 liters of 14% mixture of water and high proof
      > from a previous run that I was not satisfied with the flavor.
      > After It reach equilibrium, a measured the max takeoff. It was
      > 50ml/minute. I poured what the contents back into the boiler.
      > I closed the valve and allowed it to equalize again. I started
      taking
      > off alcohol at 95%. It stayed there for the first 3 liters taking it
      > off at a rate of 5ml/minute. 10:1 reflux removed all the flavor. I
      was
      > very satisfied with the results. It took a half a liter to get all
      the
      > milkiness out of the watered down spirits. After that it was real
      nice.

      > The sight glass proved to be nearly worthless. It fogged up
      > immediately. After the volume of vapor picked up a bit I was able to
      > look between the droplets and see the level in the holding pool
      enough
      > to tell it was draining back down the column correctly. I was also
      > able to verify the volume of vapor did not interfere with the liquid
      > flow downward.
      >
      > I took some pictures after I got it cleaned up from the first run.
      You
      > can view then at
      > http://www.artisan-distiller.org/bokakob/finished.htm
      >
      > I will run it a bit faster whenever I get some stripping done. I am
      > anxious to get 50 liters at 45% to run. I bet it will not need so
      > much reflux then.
      > Let me know what you think about the finished design. I modified the
      > original plans to fit my available materials. It is much easier to
      > operate than my previous attempts. At least I don't have to climb a
      > ladder to adjust things and work with the water hoses.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic