39884Re: thanks harry and answer to matt

  • whynda
    Jul 1, 2007
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "plumbondude" <plumbondude@...>
      wrote:

      > Snip

      How critical do ya reckon it is to have
      > american white oak?

      g'day,

      As has been already mentioned, American White Oak is very critical to
      flavour your product. Other wood varieties have been tried with
      varying success. Obviously some timbers can be eliminated right away
      as being unsuitable due to undesirable smells and/or differing
      aromatic compounds contained therein. I live on the South Coast of
      NSW and we have a timber merchant here that stocks imported timber
      for the craft furniture and cabinet makers in the area and he has
      American White Oak and often it is possible to get small pieces from
      him at very reasonable cost. I suggest that you have a look in the
      phone book and try to track down a timber merchant in your area that
      does a similar kind of business. ..

      hope this is of help to you ....regards
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic