39880Re: How critical do ya reckon it is to have American white oak? WAS RE: [Distiller

  • plumbondude
    Jul 1, 2007
      Cool I'll go and see if I can find it at homedistiller. I don't know
      if the oak around here is american white oak but I know its not
      native would be pretty awesome if it was the american white oak. I
      do remember seeing some that had pretty much white bark but weather
      white oak is named for the colour of its bark or not? I don't know.

      Cheers

      Matt

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cadence22003" <cadence22003@...>
      wrote:

      > -listen to robert, matt ,, he is like the oracle very wise
      >
      > tasmanian oak is a form of myrtle and no aussie wood is suitable to
      > the best of my knowledge for 2x main reasons,,,,,either too oily or
      > too porous
      >
      > quercus alba is brought out from U.S. for several other reasons
      > including the georgeous aromatics it gives up to the spirit
      >
      > stick to buying old bourbon barrels or chips / shavings from H.B.
      shop