39562Re: [Distillers] Re: problems with a simple sugar mash

  • Tony Smith
    Jun 4, 2007
      I had problems with the first couple of washes I tried. Nothing seemed to work. So I set up two 1 gallon washes.

      Number one was with city tap water.
      Number two was with distilled water.

      Number one turned out to be a dud.
      Number two worked.

      So then I distilled the city tap water and reran another wash. It worked.

      So, at this point, this is what works for me.

      4 gal wash
      6 lbs (96 oz) sugar dissolved in 2 - 1 gal batches of distilled water heated to 90-100 deg F
      add 4 crushed B1 tablets

      This is then poured into a 5 gal bucket and
      aerated for 1 - 2 hours with an aquarium pump

      Add 6 oz tomato paste
      Add 4 tablespoons lemon juice (1 TBS/Gal)
      Stir well

      I take about 12-14oz of the above wash and heat it in the microwave to
      110 - 115F then add 10 teaspoons of bakers yeast making sure it is well stirred and bubbling
      10 minute wait

      While waiting for the yeast I add half the wash to the 5 gal fermenter.
      When the yeast is ready I add it to the fermenter and then the second half of the wash
      This seems to provide a nice mixing of yeast and wash then top off the fermenter with more distilled water.

      I then add an aquarium heater and wrap the top of the fermenter with a cloth and keep it in place with a good strong rubber band.

      Plug the heater in and wait for the bubbling to start!

      I will continue to experiment somewhat in the future but this is working right now for me and as I continue to change the mix, I am going to change only one thing at a time to see what works and what fails.

      Happy Drinking!

      sourkrout8165 <orange_baron65@...> wrote:
      im using a yeast slurry i use 2 to 3 packets 5 grams and i start it
      about 2 to 3 days before i make my mash and then i add it to it. my
      yeast nutrients is fermaid K i add a gram for every gallon what the
      label says. when i add my yeast it only takes about a day for it to
      start to bubble the airlock. i dont know about the O2 it could be but
      i didnt boil every mash it was my first experiment after my first 3
      mashes had the same problems. the temp. around here has been in the
      80's and at night the 70's. should i try a fish aerator in the mash
      for a few hours before i add the yeast?

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, Trid <triddlywinks@ ...> wrote:

      > --- cadence22003 <cadence22003@ ...> wrote:
      >
      > > sourkrout,,good start,, but if i could add to both TRID and HARRY'S
      > > excellent advice
      > >
      > > i'll bet my new porsche,,[i wish ] that your wash is not warm enough
      > > and more likely although you are adding yeast and nutrient no-where
      > > near enough is being pitched
      >
      > My money is on oxygen and pH...mostly O2.
      >
      > > 5 x weeks to attenuate ? struth !!!
      >
      > Allowing the yeast to multiply madly in the first day or so makes
      all the
      > difference in the rate at which the ferment occurs. Yeast can only
      consume so
      > much sugar per critter. More critters, higher rate of consumption.
      What you