39527RE: [Distillers] low water use condenser?

  • Rasmus
    Jun 1, 2007
      Convectors are e.g. used in mobile homes for heating purposes. They
      usally consist of a tube (0.4 m to 1,5 m or so) with attached thin
      aluminium cooling fins each 5 mm. In horisontal position the ambient
      cooling capacity is ~0.5 kW/m but with appropriate fans you can boost
      this 2 to 3 to ? times.

      In my CM-ARC setup I have a 1 m reflux convector with 11 small
      "PC-fans" attached and an 0.7 m product condensing convector with a
      normal household fan. The reflux convector is almost horizontal
      (50-100 mm "angle") and the other one is vertical. That's the CM-part.
      To accomplish an ARC I use a thermostat with a 0.1°C accuracy. The
      sensor is placed 2/3 from the top of the column (1.5 m) and controls 6
      of the fans, the others work all the time. When temp gets over ~80°C
      these 6 fans start working and gives full reflux for a while until the
      temperature gets below the set temperature. Works like a clock and I
      run my boiler to 100°C without a trace of tails!

      /Vini

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <mauger81@...> wrote:

      > How exactly does convective cooling work?

      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Convectors are quite a good solution, unfortunately distillers
      > > community has not quite realized it yet. The only issue is that some
      > > convectors are made of aluminium which is somewhat debated as still
      > > construction material. 2 meters of those convectors with ambient
      > > cooling is also enough to cool 1kW. IMO that's quite ideal solution
      > > since it has no moving parts, i.e. nothing to go wrong and no
      water or
      > > electricity consumption :)
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku
      > >
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Olsson <wineifera@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Is this more efficient than using a simple convector? I use one (1
      > > m) with fans and its enough to cool at least 1 kW at ~20�C. Then
      you
      > > wouldn�t need any water at all. But ofcourse Crete is often hotter
      > > than my room temerature.
      > > >
      > > > /Vini

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic