37831RE: [Distillers] youtube video

  • Robert Thomas
    Nov 29, 2006
      Yea Rob, they were pretty hush hush when it came to flavouring up.
      Sure, we had the token "exotic spices" bit, but the aged "whiskey" was
      pretty pale. I'd guess the corn distillate was taken off above
      finishing abv (perhaps the usual 60ish %). That does still leave plenty
      of corn flavour. Add to that (presumably untoasted) oak and then
      caramel derived from malt, and bob's your uncle! (oh, no, you're bob!)
      cheers
      Rob.

      p.s. on a 1000 litre mash at ca 1050 with ambient temp at 20 decG the
      temperature of the fermentation can rise 15 degrees in less than 10
      hours. The temp rise can be really nice in winter when a certain
      brewery was unheated. 5 minute break to hug the fermenters!!

      --- Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      > Rob,
      >
      > Like you, I'm under the impression that all the liquors produced in
      > the
      > video MIGHT be made from neutral alcohol, with corn as a feedstock.
      > (The video really asks as many questions as it answers). It would be
      > kinda nice to have Canadian whiskey just by barrel-aging vodka, which
      > in my case is just just feints, redistilled with bicarb a couple of
      > times.
      >
      > I have friends who favor Canadian whiskey, which is nice enough, but
      > just not my cup of tea.
      >
      > Does anyone know how Canadian whiskey is really made?
      >
      > Anyway, thanks for the video, Rob.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
      > >To: distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [Distillers] youtube video
      > >Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:20:56 -0800 (PST)
      > >
      > >I saw this and thought of you!
      > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AafSvzXD27c
      > >The distillation is carried out at 85 degrees????
      > >Plus at this distillery, which makes gin, whiskey, etc etc, 95 % of
      > the
      > >fermentables are corn. So "Canadian Whiskey" is flavoured neutral
      > >lcohol then, is it?
      > >

      > >Cheers,
      > >Rob.

      > >Want to start your own business?
      > >Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
      > >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

      > Stay up-to-date with your friends through the Windows Live Spaces
      > friends
      > list.

      Cheers,
      Rob.