36668Re: nocino time

  • miciofelice2003
    Aug 5, 2006
      Dear Bob,
      really I don't know the exact meaning of the word "nocino"; in my
      opinion means "liqueur extract by walnuts", but also your
      interpretation is proper and can be true.

      in my opinion it's better to avoid to put sugar inside the jar
      during fermentation, but this's matter of opinion.

      what I can't accept is to wait 1 year or more to taste my delicious
      nocino: no, it's too much!

      I disagree also about the definition of "optional" when you speak of
      the blond, virgin, girl, etc.: how can you define "it"
      as "optional"??????? (smile)

      In this case, let me say what Sir George Bernard Shaw said:
      "Take everything from me but not the superfluous!"

      Anyway: I took the recipe from the book written by Pellegrino
      Artusi: he wrote his book (the first "scientific" book about the art
      of cooking)at the end of 1800, almost in the beginning of 1900, so
      more than 1 century was gone.
      But, let me say, a person (I mean Pellegrino Artusi) that start his
      book writing:
      " two are the life functions: to feed ourselves and to propagate the
      species" must be a person that undestood everythimg in life!!!

      ( a big smile!!!)

      A person that start a book, about food cooking, such in this way
      MUST be a reliable person!!! (another big smile)

      So, O.K., let's stop to joke and become a little bit serious:
      Pellegrino Artusi was the first and, in my opinion, sometimes is
      still the best in cook writing.
      His recipes have the taste of the old wisdom, the wisdom of ours
      grand-fathers.
      It's a heritage of wisdom and knowledge that must not be forgotten.

      Ciao a tutti
      da

      micio felice

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "italiandistiller"
      <italiandistiller@...> wrote:

      > Nocino, I think (please correct me Micio if I'm wrong)is derived
      from
      > the Italian verb nuocere, which means to harm, to damage,
      and 'ino' a
      > suffux that imples "a little".
      > So, nocino literally means to harm a little.
      >
      > Green walnuts hulls, and not the older black ones, as well as
      cloves,
      > have a proven property for killing intestinal flukes and
      suppressing
      > parasitic bacteria and fungi (yeasts) and also many kinds of
      > pathogens which we coincidentally ingest in the course of normal
      > gastro-fare. In becomes imperative that on a cyclic basis, we do a
      > detoxing, or killing of these "little" entities from our bodies
      for
      > robust health. Nocino will aid in the aspect. Italy's high
      > percentage of centenarians may be in part due to nocino!
      >
      > Here's my nocino recipe:
      > • 30 green walnuts (collected on the 25th of June, blond
      virgin
      > optional)
      > • 48 oz of your best and cleanest shine
      > • 1 cup sugar
      > • 2 cinnamon sticks
      > • 1 tablespoon whole cloves
      > • rind of 1 lemon
      > • 1 cup water (spring or well)
      > Cut the 30 green walnuts with the kernel into 4 parts and put them
      in
      > a large jar, add the alcohol and half of the sugar, spices and
      lemon
      > rind. Place the jar in a sunny window tightly covered for a few
      > months. Filter and add sugar syrup made from 1 cup of water and
      the
      > rest of sugar. Store in the cellar for a year.
      > Serve cold after a meal.
      >
      > Viva nocino e giovani vergini biondi!
      >
      > À Salute,
      >
      > Bob
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Collect 23 to 25 walnuts with green skins, St John
      > > day etc
      > > thanks Micio
      > > cheers
      > > greg
      > > --- miciofelice2003 <miciofelice2003@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi, Greg.
      > > >
      > > > Yes, may be you missed the message of that period:
      > > > anyway you have
      > > > to look for message N°. 36148, where I explained how
      > > > to prepare a
      > > > liqueur called "nocino". You have to use wallnuts,
      > > > it's well
      > > > prepared in some regions of Italy and in Abruzzo
      > > > they are used to
      > > > drink at 70 alcoholic degree (I mean 70% in volume).
      > > >
      > > > For me it's too strong, so I prefer 38 - 40%.
      > > >
      > > > But remember: if you want to prepare a good nocino
      > > > you must have at
      > > > your disposal a young, blond virgin girl .... :<)
      > > >
      > > > Ciao a tutti
      > > > da
      > > >
      > > > micio felice

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic