35892Re: Scrubbers

  • Mark
    Jun 1, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@...>
      wrote:

      I run my potstill output through an
      > alcoholometer, and I commonly start spirit run at 78%. > Zymurgy
      Bob, a simple potstiller

      I checked my old notebooks and found the records. It was an 8%abv
      wash, 50% DME/Corn Sugar, Red Star yeast (don't know if it was lager
      or ale yeast, but I think ale yeast). 10 gallon wash. 15 gallon
      electric water heater still that directly fed a tube in a tube
      condensor. The product abv's were mid 40's. I collected the middle
      3rd (about 3 gallons) to redistill in the pot still.

      Oh poop. 18 years later as I write this, I see what I did.
      electric element must be covered, so I added about 12 gallons
      of "soft" water to the 3 gal collected to bring the wash up to 15
      gallons total volume - to fill up the water heater. 3 gal of 45%
      with 12 gal of 0% is about 9%abv. So the next run had darn near the
      same starting abv as the first wash. Explains why the next run's
      distillate abv was about the same, huh? (yea, I "huh'd" myself). A
      one plate pot still running batches of about the same starting wash,
      over and over again.

      alright - ya'all have a good laugh at my expense. but remember this
      was the days before the internet and Tony's website.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic