35039RE: [Distillers] Chili

  • Mark Nelson
    Apr 3, 2006
      Larry,

      Now I know your not a cowboy. No self respecting Texan would put beans in
      their chili, use ground beef or use store bought chili powder. That's just
      crazy talkin', like you're from New York City :>) This such a better subject
      than picking on each other.

      For the poor deprived folks from down under, try this:

      3 pounds stew meat (beef, pork, and/or lamb) diced in small pieces. Please
      note that I refrained from sheep jokes.
      2 teaspoons oil
      1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
      1 (12-ounce) bottle of beer, preferably a medium ale
      2 cups chopped onions
      30 tortilla chips - this is an easy way to thicken the chili, I doubt your
      going to find masa flour down under
      2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce, chopped
      1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the chipotle peppers in adobo)
      1/4 cup tomato paste
      3 cups crushed tomatoes
      1 tablespoon chili powder - see recipe below
      2 teaspoon ground cumin
      2 teaspoons of dried oregano
      2 tablespoons chopped garlic - I always add more
      8 cups beef stock - you could use tomato juice, vegetable stock if
      necessary.

      Place the meat in a large mixing bowl and combine with the oil, salt, chili
      powder, oregano and cumin. Set aside.

      Heat a 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven over high heat until hot. Add the meat
      in 3 or 4 batches and brown on all sides, approximately 2 minutes per batch.
      Once each batch is browned, place the meat in a clean large bowl.

      Once all of the meat is browned, Add the onions and sauté 3 to 5 minutes.
      Add just enough of the beer to the pot to deglaze the pot. Drink the rest.
      Scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
      Add the meat back to the pot along with the garlic, adobo sauce, tomatoes
      paste, crushed tomatoes. chipotle peppers and beef stock.

      Bring pot to a boil, then reduce the heat until a low simmer. Cook for a
      minimum of two hours until the meat is tender. Crush the tortilla chips into
      the chili and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Re-season and enjoy.

      Now for the chili powder:

      3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
      3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
      3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
      2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
      2 tablespoons garlic powder
      1 tablespoon dried oregano
      1 teaspoon smoked paprika

      Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or
      cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around
      constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to
      5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

      Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along
      with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is
      formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the
      lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.