32368Re: Testing for methanol

  • pieterpst
    Oct 3, 2005
      actually there is a protocol for that. It uses fuchsine and some
      other compounds (potassiumpermaganate). I don't think I still have
      the protocol. Our local pharmacist used to sell these kits and he
      told me that some compounds (like fuchsine) are hard to get (must
      also be expensive).

      I tested the kit in the lab with 0%,1%, 50% and 100% methanol but
      found the results to be dissapointing. I suspect that one of the
      compounds was old and therefore didn't work.

      After that I didn't bother to get a fresh kit, throwing away a
      generous methanol fraction is more then sufficient and saves the
      trouble for testing every time. Also I don't know how sensitive the
      kit was but if it is very sensitive you can drive yourself mad. You
      will nearly always find a positive result!

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
      wrote:
      > In a word, no.
      > HPLC, GC, or NMR are possiblities, but you don't tend
      > to find the equipment down the local Walmart!
      > Cheers,
      > Rob.
      >

      > --- joeatsalot <joeatsalot@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > I suspect there isn't, and I suspect it isn't
      > > necessary, but:
      > >
      > > Is it possible to test for methanol? (easily?)
      > >
      > > I know that proper home brewing and distilling
      > > should leave almost no
      > > methanol, probably less than cheap commercial
      > > drinks, but it might be
      > > nice to say "I told you so" to those of little
      > > faith.
      > >

      > Cheers,
      > Rob.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com