31915Re: [Distillers] Re: Rowan/Sorbolo

  • david werling
    Sep 3, 2005
      ref pp scorched throat on Liquori Casalinghi

      Yes, you will scorch your throat. In 2nd chapter, page 11 'Making Liqueurs', the author says to use 95o (superscript o), not 95%abv as the spirit base of the recipes. He refers to it as pure grain alcohol generally sold as 190o (superscript o) which should then be diluted with an equal quantity of distilled water to achieve the desired 95o (superscript o). He goes on "In areas where pure grain alcohol cannot be sold, 80o - 100o vodka may be used as a substitute. It is clear from these entries that the aulthors used a superscript o to designate proof, not %abv as indicated in Wals posts. It is clear how the mistake occurred as the authors only use the comparison of the 95o and the 190o only once in their book and do not explain the use of the superscript o as their symbol for proof. However, in the trade proof may be indicated by a superscript o, but I am unaware as was Wal. We are indebted to Wal for his hours of work bringing us these recipes, but we do need to change the
      95%abv quantities to 95 proof. Yours in health charkow
      pieterpst <pieterpost_pieterpost@...> wrote:
      ah, thx for looking that up ! I had seen the other recipe but this
      one seemed nicer with the lemon (the others don't use lemon).

      To elaborate, I made some snapps from these berries and I must say
      it's quite tasty. Not your everyday drink but pleasant all the same !

      grtz,

      PP

      > The notes say that the alcohol content of the final product is 41%.
      An
      > 80% moisture content in the berries is not unusual, and keep in mind
      > the 6 month maceration period.
      > For another way see the Rowan Schnaps recipe -
      > http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/rowan.html
      >
      > wal
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pieterpst"
      > <pieterpost_pieterpost@h...> wrote:
      > > Wal, just wondering if these recipe is complete? With this
      percentage
      > > of alcohol I am wondering if it won't scorch my throat. The end
      > > percentage will be very high unless the water in the berries will
      be
      > > drawn to the alcohol (osmosis)although there diesn't seem to very
      much
      > > fluid in them ....
      > >
      > > Other recipies use less alcohol or add water to it ......
      > >
      > > greetings,
      > >
      > > PP
      > >
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
      > > > Liquori Casalinghi 52
      > > >
      > > > Rowan/Sorbolo
      > > >
      > > > Rowan/Mountain Ash (Sorbus aucuparia) berries - 500 g
      > > > Cloves - 3 whole
      > > > Lemon - peel of 1 lemon
      > > > Cinnamon stick - 12 mm piece
      > > > Sugar - 240 g
      > > > Alcohol (95%bv) - 360 ml
      > > >
      > > > Place all the ingredients in a sealed glass jar and macerate
      for 6
      > > > months. Strain. Age for 4 mo
      > nths.
      > > >
      > > > wal

      Management team building Corporate culture Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team Culture