31474Re: [Distillers] Re: Exploding elements

  • Mike Nixon
    Aug 12, 2005
      Sven Pfitt wrote:
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Exploding elements

      > emailbenja wrote:
      > Subject: [Distillers] Re: Exploding elements

      Power sockets are not banned in the US in bathrooms(we are still
      uncivilized I reckon). However, the National Electric Code requires
      GFI outlets in kitchens and bathrooms (possibly garages as well).

      GFI is Ground Fault Interrupt. It is an electronic circuit breaker
      which detects current flow in the ground conductor, and hence another
      reason to ground all of your metalic items with electricity applied
      to them.

      I'm working on an ELectric Hot Liquor tank for my brewery and it has
      the third ground wire attached to the SS tank, along with a GFI
      outlet to power the internal heater.

      Sven
      =================
      OK Sven - thanks for the heads up, but we're talking 120V in the US aren't
      we? At that voltage you are twice as likely to get your GFI cutting power
      before any damage is done as you would have with 240V, and I have to admit
      that shaver sockets are OK in most bathrooms around the 'civilized' world,
      no matter what the voltage supply, as they are generally isolated with both
      transformers and some form of protection like GFI. The UK has fuses in each
      plug, unlike plugs here in the wild and woolly antipodes, so regulations
      clearly differ throughout the world. The main point I was trying to get
      across was that if you are going to shove a high power heating element in a
      liquid then it is prudent to have a fall-back plan should anything go wrong,
      just as you have in that brewery of yours. Snag is, many amateur distillers
      wouldn't know one end of a plug from another, which I hasten to add is not a
      criticism but just a simple matter of fact. Few of us are expert brain
      surgeons either. However, as the subject has been raised, about how safe
      heating elements are, we might as well take the opportunity to hammer home
      the safety message. These are not little low voltage dry-cell toys we are
      playing with.

      All the best,
      Mike N
    • Show all 31 messages in this topic