31093Re: [Distillers] Sugar wash

  • Robert Hubble
    Jul 25, 2005

      You've raised a question I've asked myself (as a relative group newbie) with
      every post I read. How many of you are running reflux/fractionating stills
      for EtOH/H2O, how many potstillers, how many running a reflux like a
      potstill a la Ian Smiley, and how many continuous types (did I miss

      Because my personal interest is in developing traditional flavors (whiskeys,
      brandies (especially eau de vies), rums), I run a 21 liter potstill.

      >From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Sugar wash
      >Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 02:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
      >The more you add the more flavour you'll get! but
      >seriously, if you want to go the whisky route, ditch
      >most (all) the sugar. Sugar washes are great for pure
      >ethanol, but when you want palatable heads and tails
      >it's rubbish. You'll contaminate any potential good
      >malt flavours with lousy sugar ones.
      >'course this opens up the whole new world of
      >potstilling, unless you start messing about adding a
      >bit of this fraction to a bit of that.....
      >There's something about it in the homedistiller site
      >--- Boggin Bob <bogginbobbie@...> wrote:
      > > Has anyone got any ideas on adding a small amount of
      > > pre malted barley to a sugar wash replacing some of
      > > the sugar. Would this work and when distilled the
      >Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

      Zymurgy Bob