28086Multi-column balancing (was) Re: Mike Nixon - Vapor Management question

    Mar 2, 2005
      > Multiple columns are tricky, so sneak up on them with caution.
      It's not
      > just the matter of getting the reflux ratio in each column
      correct, but you
      > also have to achieve a balance between them, and maintain it. If
      the vapor
      > feeds are not set up properly then you can get an unstable
      condition that
      > will end up with one or more columns cutting out entirely.
      > All the best,
      > Mike N

      I assume the reason people want multiple columns is to increase the
      amount of product taken in a given timeframe. However large
      diameter pipe is not easily found, so multi-columns is a viable

      The simplest way to achieve perfect balance is to connect all the
      column TOPS together BEFORE the condenser and use a single takeoff
      point for product.

      It's simple fluid dynamics. A system joined at one end (by the
      boiler) will always have pressure differences in the legs (columns),
      just like a garden watering system where the sprays are uneven.
      However, if you make said watering system a closed loop, then all
      sprays have equal pressure. The same is true for multiple columns.

      Join the multiple columns at the boiler, and again at the top, then
      run to a condenser. This setup will of course require more power to
      drive it, because of the additional volume to fill in the extra
      columns, but that's the whole point of the exercise, isn't it?