28049Re: wood chips

  • kandeent
    Feb 28, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "foutzdj" <foutzdj@y...> wrote:

      > I recently accquired some oak chips and i was wondering at what
      > temperture to toast them at and for how long. I have looked at the
      > chart on home distiller, but I was wondering if anyone had other
      > personal experiences
      >
      > Dan
      Not an answer, just an idea I'm working on....I bought a airline
      1.5 oz. mini booze bottle drank it then filled them with cooked oak
      sticks that have been toasted @ 350 degF for 1 hour. Then I ran a
      propane torch over them to char them. I then poured in 95% and let
      it sit for a test. Ot has been a week. The color is beautiful but it
      tastes nasty. Very woodsy. I think the oak had was too green. My
      plan is to drink many small bottles and play around with it.
      Ed
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic