26488Re: Trial Run on Reflx Column

    Jan 1, 2005
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, suitcase1499@a... wrote:
      > OK Harry,
      > You lost me there I'm a dumbass country boy with a
      little
      > education not a Masters Degree (LOL) I have no idea what that
      means. and I do
      > have a metal ring not fire brick just steel with air holes to
      direct the heat, a
      > friend made it for me to fit the bottom of the keg. But it still
      helps heat
      > the barn I have it in an enclosed stall of 8' x 12' with a lot of
      air holes
      > believe me. Bottom line is how can I increase output would two
      columns do it or
      > just need two stills.???? Thanks
      >
      > Oh yeah I do have that internal heat source for myself 86 proof
      plain sugar
      > head : )
      >
      > Suitcase.

      Sorry about the maths equation. The reason I gave it is to explain
      why a small increase in column diameter gives such a large change in
      performance or output, which is the "bottom line answer" to your
      question. YOU NEED A BIGGER DIAMETER COLUMN to achieve bigger
      output. (not shouting, just emphasising) :-)

      All is relative. To increase output, you need to put more vapor up
      the column. This requires more applied heat. More heat requires an
      increase in column capacity, otherwise the vapor speed will increase
      also, and reduce your purity.

      The math on column capacity is easy to follow if you remember back
      to school when they taught about circles. There are formulae for
      circumference, area, cylinder volume (that's what we want).

      To explain: Pi is always 3.1416 (near enough). R is radius of
      column (half the diameter). ^2 is the previous number (radius)
      multiplied by itself. Ht is the height of the column.
      So for your column (cylinder) it's:
      Pi x R^2 x Ht
      3.1416 x 0.75" x 0.75" x 26" which gives 46 cubic inches.

      If you increase the column to 2", then:
      3.1416 x 1.0" x 1.0" x 26" which gives 81 cubic inches, nearly
      double the volume or capacity.

      This will enable you to increase the heat input without increasing
      the vapor speed. Then you'll get your increased product output and
      no loss of quality. But remember, all is relative. If you increase
      the heat, you need to remove that increased heat at the condenser,
      IOW up the coolant flowrate to match.