25532Re: Malting question

    Dec 4, 2004

      > Must stop relying on memory as I appear to be losing neurons!
      > The sprouted part is called an acrospire - edosperm is the solid
      part.
      > Cannot find a verification of the content of the acrospire which I
      > think I read somewhere (?)
      > wal
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Undried malted grain is called 'green malt'.It is used in
      moonshine
      > > style spirits, but apparently the endosperm (the sprouted part)
      > > contains unpleasant compounds which might not be a problem for
      > > distillers.

      I don't think it's the composition of the acrospire (aka plumule)
      that's the issue, Wal. It's more a question of economics and yield.

      At the end of the germination period the Acrospire should have grown
      to roughly ? - ¾ the length of the corn. On no account must the
      Acrospire be allowed to grow out of the end of the corn. Such a
      condition, "bolting", results in too much of the food supply
      contained in the Endosperm having been used. This consequently
      creates a high malting loss.

      The moisture content of the grain should still be approximately 41% -
      42% at the end of the germinating period and the Diastatic Power or
      Enzyme development will be at its maximum.

      Source:
      http://www.scotchwhisky.net/manufacturing/