22Botanicals

  • Mike
    Sep 30, 1999
      Dear Ray,

      Thank you very much for your reply to my query about
      distilling botanicals. I was amused by your description
      of the state your pot and element ended up in and will take
      every precaution to avoid this trap. The problem of
      separating the resulting oils from the water is an interesting
      one to think about. Would the oils have a higher BP than
      water I wonder, or lower. I imagine that the scent elements
      would have a fairly low vapour pressure or they wouldn�t be
      much use as scents. Would a second distillation in a pot still
      do the trick? I�ll be interested to hear what success you have
      with the soaking in alcohol method. I have found that soaking
      orange zest etc in ordinary vodka makes a passable basis for a
      cointreau type liqueur, so using stronger higher strength
      alcohol should produce good results. I�d love to know the
      ingredients for Bombay Sapphire Gin � but know that
      something like that will be a closely guarded family secret!

      Mike
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic