21873Re: New Still

  • linw992003
    Jul 15, 2004
      (Stung into action by Harry!! - didn't see your critique, though,
      Harry??).

      The top bit is stunning, I must say. (It would certainly stun you if
      it fell!). I have to go along with Justin's comments, especially the
      advice to go a bit more conventional. It is out of proportion, really.
      It looks like it should have a 10" column and a 200 gallon boiler
      under it! When you consider the very low flow-rate in use for a highly
      refluxed system, the big tubes and valves are, well, big. Is there a
      reason you chose to use a large bucket instead of a 2-3 inch piece of
      tube with qtr inch coil?

      From a design perspective, it is better practice to return the reflux
      to the top of the column, rather than half-way down.

      Sorry if this sounds negative but you did ask for input!

      Good luck. You will eventually get a good still going but it may be a
      wee bit different from the current design? But if it is a raging
      success, let us know!

      Cheers, Lindsay.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Zarklan Zhaphedoix
      <fermentsindarkness@y...> wrote:
      > I am working on a still and have posted pictures at
      > the following address:
      >
      > http://zzhaphedoix.photosite.com/Workinprogress/
      >
      > The still is largely dumbbell shaped with one
      > condenser at the top. Distillate is collected in the
      > common condensation chamber and then diverted either
      > back to the Cu++ mesh reflux column or to the take off
      > path way. I am 80 or so percent done and welcome
      > feedback. Do let me know what you think.
      >
      > -ZZ

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic