21663Re: [Distillers] Re: Best Yeast

  • Larry Bump
    Jul 6, 2004
      From: "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@...>
      > I haven't tried reusing spent yeast... do you need to add more
      > nutrient?

      If they are going to be sitting more than a day or three.

      >What about water temps when mixing new batch? can yeast be
      > killed if temps too low i.e. cold water

      No, but it will slow them. Cold doesn't kill yeast until the freezing
      damages the cell walls.

      > How many times can the same yeast be used ?

      Until you kill them or the culture gets contaminated by lacto or some other
      nastie. Sour and a floating mould will be you first clues. It is
      vanishingly unlikely as long as you keep them going in the same fermentor,
      with enough nutrient to develop an alcoholic environment.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic