21663Re: [Distillers] Re: Best Yeast

  • Larry Bump
    Jul 6, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "pthoma_nz" <pthoma_nz@...>

      > I haven't tried reusing spent yeast... do you need to add more
      > nutrient?

      If they are going to be sitting more than a day or three.

      >What about water temps when mixing new batch? can yeast be
      > killed if temps too low i.e. cold water

      No, but it will slow them. Cold doesn't kill yeast until the freezing
      damages the cell walls.

      > How many times can the same yeast be used ?

      Until you kill them or the culture gets contaminated by lacto or some other
      nastie. Sour and a floating mould will be you first clues. It is
      vanishingly unlikely as long as you keep them going in the same fermentor,
      with enough nutrient to develop an alcoholic environment.

      Larry

      Larry
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic

    »