20059Re: Fermenting milk

    Mar 31, 2004
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "reuel369" <reuel@a...> wrote:
      > Bad! At first I didn't know what it was and thought it was from
      the
      > Lactaid or 1% milk fat I ate a caplet it was pretty much tastless.
      > should have bought an eye droper to measure drops of water then
      use
      > lactaid in that amount. As it got stronger then I could taste the
      > whey. Also next time I will use fat free milk.

      My guess is the milk fats turned rancid over time, giving it a bad
      taste/smell. Alcohol from milk commercially only uses the whey to
      ferment. The curd (milk solids or fats) is used for cheese
      production. Read this snippet I found recently...

      <extract>
      In October 1978 in Ireland, a creamery was reported to be producing
      daily 3000 gallons of alcohol at a strength of 96.5 degrees.

      The theory of producing alcohol from milk is nothing new, but it had
      never before been made into a practical commercial proposition: this
      plant, Carberry Milk Products, was the first of its kind in the
      world. The alcohol comes from the whey left after the production of
      cheese. The protein is extracted and the lactose is fermented and
      distilled. The resultant spirit is suitable for gin or vodka, being
      similar to alcohol derived from molasses, or for pharmaceutical
      purposes.

      The capacity of the plant is eight million litres produced annually
      from 108 million litres of milk. Distilling from whey instead of
      processing it in the conventional way saved in capital cost.
      However, the Carberry operation is valid only because it is Europe's
      largest cheese factory, and it does not herald the final solution to
      the EEC's surplus milk problem:
      </extract>

      HTH