20051Re: Fermenting milk

  • reuel369
    Mar 31, 2004
      Hello,
      Last year I made the milk wine recipe # 2. I can't find my notes but
      was only useing red star bread yeast at the time. I couldn't find
      liquid Lactaid I wrote Lactaid and they said I couldn't make my own
      lactose milk. I used 6 Lactaid caplets, 1% milk, my cheep sugar
      doesn't say what its made from. I did get hammered on the cottage
      cheeze. I liked the wine young but as it aged the whey flavor got
      stronger.

      I thought I got a good ferment and the s.g. now is 0.090

      Hope this helps, Reuel

      > Lactase enzyme can split lactose in milk to glucose and galactose
      but
      > the presence of glucose represses the utilization of galactose by
      > Saccharomyces cerevisae. i.e. you need a lactose fermenting yeast
      > fully ferment lactose.
      > wal
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic