19120Re: Grappa

  • AtlantaGor
    Feb 11, 2004
      Thanks for the replies, maybe I should clarify myself better, I have
      purchased this mini glass distiller that came with no recipes other
      than add wine to the distiller and fire it up, then add water to the
      finished product to make grappa, seems too easy ? It said you can
      also make brandy by adding wine and firing it up and letting it go
      through the process. Just seems too simple and not sure which wine to
      use, I will try to get a picture of the mini-distiller.

      Thanks again

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
      wrote:
      > Umm, grappa is a distilled product. You've described a version of
      a second
      > run.
      > Usually a second run is made by adding more liquid and sugar to the
      > unpressed skins. If done with wanter and sugar or water and sugar
      and
      > raising it usually makes a lighter, fruitier wine. Others do it
      with juice
      > and it can make a quite remarkable second run for about $2 per
      bottle.
      > I'm a cheapskate and like to mazimize my first run. So after
      pressing I
      > take the pomace (the pressed cake of skins and seeds)_ toss it back
      in the
      > primary, add some commercial wine juice and let her rip. It is
      often a
      > very good wine.
      > On 800 original pounds of grapes I would add about 92 litres of
      juice. I
      > find I have to be quite careful to monitor acids and ph as soon as
      the
      > primary fermentation is done because while I know the
      characteristics of
      > the juice I usually know dick squat about the pomace. This is the
      wine
      > that I tend to drink fairly quickly as in a year after
      fermentation. The
      > first runs we usually try to keep untouched for 2 years before we
      drink.
      > Last year's wine was 100% old vine zinfandel from California and
      we're
      > thinking very kind thoughts at the moment because it is looking
      really good.
      > I have yet to have the quantity of red wine available to distill.
      It tends
      > to be on the more expensive end of what one can use as a wash.
      > At 09:38 AM 2/11/04, you wrote:
      > >Grappa is made from taking the skins after pressing and
      refermenting
      > >with sugar/water. Next harvest, after pressing the skins, add tehm
      > >back to your bucket, add water and sugar and let it go. You should
      > >be ready to re-press the skins after another week or two.
      > >

      > >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "AtlantaGor" <atlantagor@a...>
      > >wrote:
      > > > Hello,
      > > > I am new to this group, I have been making wine for awhile now,
      > >but
      > > > I just picked up a mini distiller, and am interested in making
      > > > grappa's brandies, etc.. Haven't had any luck finding out how to
      > >make
      > > > a grappa, says in the instructions i received with the unit just
      > >add
      > > > water, not very helpfull. I was wondering if anyone could give
      me
      > > > some pointers or point me in the direction of some recipes. I
      > > > purchased the Lore of Ditilling and The Alaskin bootleggers
      bible,
      > > > but neither had this info.
      > > >
      > > > Thank you in advance.

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links