      Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 4:55 PM
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: yeast propagation

      I know you have described this in detail before, but perhaps you
      could indulge me one last time. I do attempt to follow your's and
      other's advice, but alas my memory is not so hot sometimes. If I
      start with a dry packet of, say, champagne yeast, and I wish to
      eventually pitch into an aproximately 20L wash of say 1.080 S.G., I
      gather that I should first start with maybe a cup of wash (or other
      sugary starter) then move to perhaps a liter container, and then
      pitch my 20L batch. My question: how long do the yeast take to
      multiply in the small starter containers? I want them aerobic, yes?,
      so I aerate the container generously. Do I need to wait minutes,
      hours, or days, from the one packet in a cup of wash stage to the
      liter starter, to the final pitch?  I am concerned that I go to fast
      normally and don't boost my cell count as much as I am hoping to. I
      generally have been moving to the next size up container after I get
      a nice generous amount of activity evident by a large amount of foam;
      this happens in the hour or so that I am waiting for my wash to cool
      down enough to pitch (I haven't advanced to a real wort chiller yet).

      Thanks in advance,
      and happy hooching,

      --- In Distillers@y..., "Ted Palmer" <tpalmer@o...> wrote:
      > "As far as using less than the whole package.  I don't see why not
      as long as you use a nutrient supplement."
      > How many times must I say this!!! you need 10 x 10^6 cells per ml
      of wash as a minimum!!!!! you need even more for higher gravities!!!!
      For you non science types that means about a cup of yeast slurry for
      a 25 liter batch at 1.050 and 2 cups for 1.080 3 cups for 1.100 .
      > [Getting on the soapbox]
      > I see the same questions pop up all the time, over and over. I get
      the feeling that no one is reading the posts from the begining and
      just ask questions due to laziness. This hobby will hurt those that
      are lazy and those that take short cuts or just jump in without
      learning the steps needed to make safe drink. If your trying to make
      cheap booze, you can't. You get what you pay for.
      > Also there is a new distillers group that helps the newbies but I
      don't see many people start there. Why is that?
      > [Getting off the soapbox]
      > _____________
      > Ted Palmer
      > tpalmer@o...
      stuff in 3 liter soda pop bottles in College.
      >   It only took a teaspoon of the sediment at the bottom to start
      the next batch.  I kept many batches going for over a year using the
      same yeast.
      >   I've heard however that sometimes yeast can mutate to such a high
      degree that reusing it is dangerous.  The consequence being an
      unwanted byproduct.  I don't know if any of these byproducts would be
      near the boiling point of ethanol though.
      >   As far as using less than the whole package.  I don't see why not
      as long as you use a nutrient supplement.  The main concern is making
      sure that the desired yeast becomes prevelent.  The key to this is
      using sterile technique, but that is very hard with such large
      batches as yeast and bacteria are in the air.  From microbiology
      class I've learned a few tips and trick to remain sterile.  Soak
      everything in bleach first. Boil water used for fro wash to 20
      minutes and cover to let cool. Leave the lid on as much as possible
      while filling and stirring to avoid bacteria falling-out from the air
      and cieling into the wash.  Don't forget to sterilize your stirring
      stick.  That may help some.  Bottom line (excluding mutations which I
      don't know much about) is that you could theoretically use a teaspoon
      of yeast to get the batch going as long as you use sterile technique,
      nutrients, and great care.
      >   I am looking forward to seeing some insight on this subject
      also.  I use turbo yeast and can only get it through mail order.