      Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2001 9:52 PM
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] yeast propagation

      Hello,

      I reused bakers yeast when I made small batches of mead-like-wine-stuff in 3 liter soda pop bottles in College.

      It only took a teaspoon of the sediment at the bottom to start the next batch.  I kept many batches going for over a year using the same yeast.

      I've heard however that sometimes yeast can mutate to such a high degree that reusing it is dangerous.  The consequence being an unwanted byproduct.  I don't know if any of these byproducts would be near the boiling point of ethanol though.

      As far as using less than the whole package.  I don't see why not as long as you use a nutrient supplement.  The main concern is making sure that the desired yeast becomes prevelent.  The key to this is using sterile technique, but that is very hard with such large batches as yeast and bacteria are in the air.  From microbiology class I've learned a few tips and trick to remain sterile.  Soak everything in bleach first. Boil water used for fro wash to 20 minutes and cover to let cool. Leave the lid on as much as possible while filling and stirring to avoid bacteria falling-out from the air and cieling into the wash.  Don't forget to sterilize your stirring stick.  That may help some.  Bottom line (excluding mutations which I don't know much about) is that you could theoretically use a teaspoon of yeast to get the batch going as long as you use sterile technique, nutrients, and great care.

      I am looking forward to seeing some insight on this subject also.  I use turbo yeast and can only get it through mail order.

      Thank,

      Tim