1870Re: [Distillers] yeast

  • Matt
    Mar 1, 2001
      On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 07:12:01AM -0000, nvo@... wrote:
      > Just about to add my yeast to my barley/whiskey mash and
      > wondered.Does anyone know what sort of yeast to use?.I can only get
      > turbo yeast and wondered if I could use it.I am under the impression
      > that I dont need the turbo yeast as the mash has enough nutrients for
      > the yeast to work.I am making the whiskey as exact as I can after
      > seeing a video on how to make poteen just the other week ago.They use
      > brewers yeast but every where I go they only have turbo yeast.
      > Please can anyone help?

      Yes Turbo is really designed for ethanol-over-flavor production. Donald
      of Outterson LLC (who I wish would post here more often as he is a font
      of brewing and distilling knowledge) has recommended Red Star Dry Active
      Distiller's Yeast which I've found through a few mailorder places. He
      also has said that at least one top tequila manufacturer uses Alltech's
      Superstart yeast.

      good luck and let us know how your production goes!

      Matthew @ psibercom