      From: stampers@... [mailto:stampers@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, 31 January 2001 22:22
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Inverted sugar better than dextrose?

      --- In Distillers@y..., "Ted Palmer" <tpalmer@o...> wrote:

      > > Thanks for the reply. I don't think you've answered my question,
      > > though, unless I'm missing the point entirely.
      >
      > yes you are.

      Fair enough :-)

      > If you are really serious about this hobby you must learn
      everything you can
      > about YEAST! If you are just trying to make cheap booze, which I
      don't think
      > you are, you'll fail.

      I started out trying (and succeeding, I might add) to make cheap
      booze, but as I've said in previous posts the process itself is
      taking over from the fun of consuming the finished product.

      I knew a fair bit about yeasts and their likes and dislikes from my
      days of brewing beer. I've tried to find impartial information about
      the various yeasts commercially available, but to no avail. I can
      find plenty of info from the guys who sell the stuff, but I don't
      class that as impartial.

      I've started a trial of as many different yeasts I can get my hands
      on, and am about half way through it. So far I've tried:

      Still Spirits Turbo
      Code 6 Hyper
      Alcotec Turbo (v3.0)
      and
      Alcotec Turbo 8kg (v3.1)
      I've got Still Spirits Turbo Extra to go as soon as I have a
      fermentation bin spare.

      There were a couple of other yeasts at the various shops I go to (in
      Wellington and Hawkes Bay). Anyone got any other suggestions of ones
      I can try here in NZ?

      Kev.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic