      From: "Andrew" <atmoore@...>
      Subject: not so safe

      About a year ago I built a still using this forum, tony's site and
      some other reading material as referance. I felt I was being very
      thorough in my research. I built a reflux still out of 2" copper
      pipe, I used silver solder for the joints, stainless steel pot
      scrubbers for packing, I made sure everything was spotless. My
      first and only product (other than trial runs with cheap wine), was
      distilled from a "turbo yeast" kit. In other words I was careful
      about what I was making. The vodka I distilled measured 95%+ but
      had that "paint thinner" smell I've heard mentioned. Everything I'd
      read said that the fusels will give an off taste but are not
      particularly dangerous (I also discarded the first 50ml and put the
      next 200ml in a redistill jar). I mixed some of the vodka with
      essences, shared some with friends and lated got some active carbon
      to clean up the product even more. The bottom line is that
      the "buzz" I got off of drinking the alcohol felt different than I'm
      used to and after several months of drinking the stuff I've noticed
      some concentration problems and an increase level of fatigue. I
      can't be certain what went wrong but I will say USE EXTREME CAUTION
      if you chose to play with this hobby. I had been so excited about
      building and working my still and now I wish I'd never seen one!