15768Re: Treacle

  • Boot
    Nov 2, 2003
      Bob,

      I bought some aussie supermarket treacle a while ago. It is like a lighter
      molasses--as you say--a step closer to cane juice than the blackstrap
      molasses sold for animal feed. Treacle would be perfect for making real rum
      according to what I've read. Commercial rum distillers apparently tend to
      use just such a higher grade of molasses. However, it'd be very expensive
      for our purposes.

      I've done three batches of rum recently. The first and second were a blend
      of 50/50 feed molasses and raw sugar, by weight. My reasoning was that this
      would roughly mimic a lighter grade of molasses while keeping costs down.
      They produced superb results. The third was around 41% molasses and is
      still aging (but smells great so far).

      To get something close to Bundaberg Rum, you'll need to carefully take mid
      to late tails -- say up to 92-93 degrees head temp or so, mix in a good
      serve of caramel and use plenty of oak (but don't overdo it and ruin a good
      thing as I eventually did with my first batch). Happily, those who've blind
      tested my rums so far alongside Bundy have preferred mine as they seem to
      lack that somewhat harsh edge and aftertaste. I'm new to rum making, so it
      goes to show how possible a decent product is.

      Good luck with it mate.

      Boot

      >Can anyone tell me about Treacle (I believe that this name originated in
      >England??). What I have been led to believe is that it is the next stage up
      >the process ladder from molasses. Is this true? Can it be used effectively
      >for fermenting to do a rum run. If it is the next part of the process from
      >molasses, then wouldn't it contain less "unfermentable" solids (or in fact
      >would it contain more)? Any ideas on fermenting treacle would be appreciated
      >
      >Cheers,
      >
      >Bob.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic