1499Methanol/wood alcohol

  • john2510@mail.com
    Dec 31, 2000
      I recently read a recipe for corn mash in which the author commented
      that you must stop the fermentation at the right point or the alcohol
      would be wood alcohol rather than ethanol.

      Is there any validity to that, or was he just completely off base? I
      would think that the amount of ethanol and methanol produced would be
      a factor of the ingredients and not the duration of fermentation
      allowed.

      I think I know the answer to this... but what happens to the methanol
      produced in beer and wine making? Is it consumed... but in harmless
      quantities?

      My reason for curiosity is as a homebrewer.... is there a danger of
      creating dangerous levels of methanol if fermentation is allowed to
      progress?
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic