1258Re: [Distillers] Inverting sugar

  • Matt
    Nov 1 9:50 AM
      On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 05:30:25PM +1300, Tony & Elle Ackland wrote:
      > A while back, UPS wrote about INVERTING sugar, to make it easier for the
      > yeast to convert it. I saved his comments at
      > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller/sugar.htm#invert . I've also
      > heard about doing this simply by simmering the sugar & water for 5 minutes.

      from this link:

      This is for the serious enthusiast. When cane sugar is used, the acid
      environment of the fruit juice allows an enzyme in the yeast called sucrase
      (or invertase) to convert the sucrose into the simpler sugars glucose
      (dextrose) and laevulose (fructose) which are then fermented. Although this
      process takes place almost straight away, it can be argued that it is
      better to use sugar that is already inverted. In practise this gives a more
      even fermentation and thus an arguably better quality finished wine. The
      amateur, however, need not worry about this as the difference is likely to
      be negligible. Invert sugar is available to buy, though more costly than
      the household variety. On the other hand it is possible to invert some
      household sugar before adding it.

      Put 8 lb of sugar in a sauce pan with 2 pt water and 1/2 oz citric acid.
      Bring slowly to the boil, stiring frequently and boil for 30 mins.
      Stir in another 2 pt boiling water and allow to cool.

      This can now be stored in jars. When using allow 1¼ pints in place of each
      lb of household sugar. Remember that each 4 pints will already contain ¼ oz
      of citric acid.

      so it seems that the invertase normally found in yeast combined with a
      slight acid environment, and some heat from yeast activity, gives the
      winemaker's yeast what it needs to break down the fruit sugars.

      It's my guess that if your primary concern is an overly sweet
      finished taste, it's not as big a deal of you're using a factional/column

      Matthew at psibercom spore@...
      Business, Numbers, People, Money
      Time, Travel, Communication, Entertainment
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic