Focuser Question

  • RedOctoBoy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      I have an 8" f/5 OTA (not a dob, but on topic, I think). The focuser has a
      lot of shift and is not easy to focus. I took the plate off the knob gears so
      I could apply some lubrication. I decided then to remove the draw tube and
      lube the whole gear assembly. The draw tube runs on four smooth "tracks" on the
      inside of the focuser housing. These tracks, and the track marks on the draw
      tube, were covered with a sticky substance. My guess was that this was some
      previous lubricant gone bad. I used a solvent and cleaned the sticky stuff
      off. I didn't apply any lube to the tracks upon reassembly.

      Should there be a sticky substance on the tracks? The focuser works much
      better, but still has some shift in it. Should I lube the tracks? I used
      lithium spray, but is there a better alternative? It looks to me like a thicker
      grease would be better.

      Danny Marbell

    • Dan Wolk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
        Danny,
        check out ChineseRefractor@yahoogroups.com There are buku posts
        about focuser fixes! Check their archieves.
        Dan NM