First message

  • Edward Otte
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
      Well here goes! Start a new group and start posting!

      Penny and I have owned our 12.5" for about a half a year now. When we started looking for a sizable "upgrade" to her 8" Orion we were obviously lookinh for the best buy. We were obviously familiar with the Orion line of scopes as well as the Meade line. (Meade is the best selling scope maker.) Penny was very much negative to the Meade Croporation experientially for she did not feel the optics were very good. We were looking for a Dobsonian, larger than a 10", so the market range was rather limited to Meade, Discovery, and Coulter. As I started to look into the optics of each I became more and more aware of Discovery's edge. (I also found out that Coulter's optics are no long made by them but a subcontracting Japanese company which does not make the mirrors to the same precision as was previously done.) I have always been a big proponent of American made products, and am aware that on-site manufacturing of anything allows for better Quality Contro, both of which were satisfied by Discovery. Looking further I found that Discovery's optics are actually sold to almost every other medium to large scope company! The limitation being however that Discovery sells a "standard" mirror, not the Premium mirror which goes into their telescopes, to everyone else. The difference I feel is very big. For example, Orion telescopes, which have Discovery mirrors now, 88% reflective, and have 1/8 wave accuracy. Discovery Premium scopes have 94% and 1/10 wave accuracy. The choice got to be very easy at that point. The cost was also very good, only $1100 for the 12.5".

      Edward Otte
    • Otte, Penny
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
        Hi Edward,

        Thanks for the intro message.

        Like all new products, Discovery has a few glitches in it's design. All in
        all though we are very happy with it and would recommend it. I am curious
        though as to what other users have to say about their Discovery scopes. I
        am wondering if some of the problems we have encountered with it are:

        * Size-related
        * Unique to our scope

        Despite some of the problems, I do agree with Edward that for the money the
        optics are phenomenal.

        Now... if only Discovery comes out with it's own line of eyepieces ;-).

        Penny