Actions for social justice, Indigenous, N.A., et al

  • realitee1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 2012
      Actions for social justice, Indigenous, N.A., et al
      Honor Dr. M.L.K., Jr. with actions for social justice, et al!
      These actions on Disabled Greens News and discussion:
      Actions for social justice, Indigenous, N.A., et al:

      This petition on change.org: Dr MLK, Jr Act/Justice:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/dr-mlk-jr-actjustice

      http://www.change.org/petitions/dr-mlk-jr-actjustice?share_id=BQszfPrjVO&

      Honor Dr. King:
      Share this action on Facebook

      Share this action on Twitter

      What would Dr. King say about the Supreme Court decision that gives corporations the same rights as people in election campaigns? He would say that civil rights are for people not corporations. He would say these are not the "voting rights" people gave their lives for.

      Honor Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy by adding your voice to the call to end corporate buying of elections. Sign and share this message today.

      http://act.rootsaction.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=5236

      Then on January 20-21, join a local Occupy the Courts event.

      Please forward this email widely.

      Actions:

      http://www.rootsaction.org/index.php

      Sincerely,
      Aimee, David
      and the RootsAction team

      Resources

      David Cobb: 'Citizens United' Doesn't Fly in Big Sky State

      Our small staff is supported by contributions from people like you; your donations are greatly appreciated.

      January 2012 Enews: Supreme Court Permits Ocean Dumping of Mine Waste:
      Newly Redesigned Cultural Survival Quarterly!
      Read the latest issue of our magazine online in its full form and glory using the latest technology!

      Get it delivered to your
      door step, become a
      member by giving today.

      Support Cultural Survival by showing us off. You can purchase a wide range of Cultural Survival Merchandise. Every item you purchase sends $5 to Cultural Survival. Learn more.

      Cultural Survival partners with Indigenous Peoples around the world to defend their lands, languages, and cultures.

      Learn More

      To read about Cultural Survival's work around the world, click here. To explore 40 years of information on Indigenous issues use our Search function.

      Do More

      For ways to take action to support Indigenous communities, click here.

      Donate

      We take on governments and multinational corporations -- and they always have more resources than we do -- but with the support of people like you, we do win. Your contribution is crucial to that effort.
      Click here to do your part.

      Cultural Survival

      215 Prospect St

      Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139

      agnes@...

      617-441-5400

      Campaign Update--Russia

      Urge UNESCO to Protect the Sacred Ukok Plateau

      Send an email

      http://www.culturalsurvival.org/take-action/russia/2/email/unesco

      to UNESCO, expressing your concern that Russia is violating its obligation to protect the "Golden Mountains of Altai" UNESCO World Heritage Site, an area that is sacred to the Indigenous Telengit people.

      Read on...

      Campaign Update--Cambodia
      Activists Flee from Police Persecution

      Two community activists who have been outspoken against the illegal logging and land concessions within the Prey Lang forest in Cambodia are being targeted by local police. Roeun Sopheap and Sim Sean have reported patrols of police waiting outside their homes and have been living in hiding throughout the past month.

      Watch "Prey Lang - Fire of Light, Light of Hope" video here.

      Read on, act...

      http://www.culturalsurvival.org/take-action/cambodia

      Campaign Update--Bangladesh

      Activists Urge GCM Shareholders to Pull Out of Phulbari Project

      On December 15th, GCM held its annual shareholders' meeting in London, amidst throngs of protesters demonstrating outside the building. Protesters waved banners tagging the project as"modern day colonialism," and carried "eviction notices" from the people of Bangladesh telling the company to abandon the Phulbari Coal project and leave the country.

      Read on, act...

      http://www.culturalsurvival.org/take-action/bangladesh-ban-coal-mine-save-forests-and-farms

      Campaign Update--Kenya
      Court Recognizes Land Transfer to Kenya Wildlife Service

      On December 14, 2011 a Kenyan court recognized the transfer of title to the property known as Eland Downs, from the African Wildlife Foundation to the Kenya Wildlife Service, the government agency that manages Kenya's national park system. The decision is disputed by Samburu people who were evicted from the property last year when former president Daniel arap Moi sold it to the African Wildlife Foundation.

      Read on...

      http://www.culturalsurvival.org/news/kenya/campaign-update-kenya-court-recognizes-land-transfer-kenya-wildlife-service

      Campaign Update--Papua New Guinea

      Supreme Court Permits Ocean Dumping of Mine Waste

      In a vote of 2 to 1, Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court ruled that the Chinese owners of the Ramu nickel mine may dump toxic waste from their mine and refinery directly into the Bismarck Sea at Basamuk. The plaintiffs in the case were Rai Coast landowners Louis Medaing and 1083 others, representing thousands of Indigenous families whose livelihoods depend on the health of the marine ecosystem.

      Read on...

      http://www.culturalsurvival.org/news/papua-new-guinea/campaign-update-papua-new-guinea-supreme-court-permits-ocean-dumping-mine-waste

      Endangered Languages Program Updates: Revitalizing Native American Languages

      VISIT OUR MOTHER TONGUES
      Noted in the top spot of last week's Scout Report--a publication of The Internet Scout Project, based at the University of Wisconsin--Our Mother Tongues was highlighted as a Research and Education site where visitors can learn "the ways in which Native American languages have recovered and thrived in recent times."
      Read on...

      WE STILL LIVE HERE SCREENINGS

      We Still Live Here: Âs Nutayuneân, Anne Makepeace's award-winning documentary about the reawakening of the Wampanoag language in southeastern Massachusetts, continues to engage and move diverse audiences, while bringing hope and inspiration to Indigenous communities struggling with language loss and the challenges of revitalization. The film was produced in collaboration with Cultural Survival's Endangered Languages Program as an education tool about Indigenous language reclamation and revitalization, and to benefit the Wôpanâak Language Reclamation Project.

      Read on...

      Community Radio Program Updates

      Guatemalan Congress Ends Term with Promises Broken

      With the 2011 elections over, Guatemala's new President and Congress will take office this weekend on January 14th. The term in office ends after four years of promises that never amounted to the passage of the community radio bill 4087. A recent editorial highlights Congress' failure to pass the bill, as well as the general disregard for the needs and concerns of Indigenous Peoples, due to what he calls a lack of political will.
      Read on...

      Radio Volunteer Profile: Noe Navarro

      Noe Navarro is from an Indigenous Maya Mam community in the north-western part of Guatemala, called San Miguel Ixtahuacan, San Marcos. He has been involved in social activism over the past ten years, helping to organize the community's struggle against the infamous Marlin gold mine, which has been operating in San Miguel since 2005, and has been environmentally as well as socially damaging for his community.

      Read on...

      Cultural Survival | 215 Prospect St | Cambridge | MA | 02139

      War on Iran?:
      Occupy AIPAC
      March 2-6, 2012 | Washington, DC

      http://www.occupyaipac.org

      Donate to place an ad in The Hill

      Get your I Heart the 99 percent shirt hot off the presses

      http://codepink.myshopify.com/products/i-heart-99-t-shirts

      Or show your support for BDS with an Israeli Occupation Isn't Pretty tee

      Tweet this!
      Plus follow us @occupyaipac and use #occupyaipac

      Join Occupy AIPAC on facebook

      "The time has come for the Occupy Movement to Occupy AIPAC." - Adbusters

      The pro-Israeli government lobby AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee) is gunning for a war with Iran— just like they pushed us into the catastrophic war in Iraq. And their manipulation of our political process destroys the possibility of a just peace for Palestinians and Israelis.

      Join us March 2-6 in Washington, DC as we Occupy AIPAC during their annual policy conference. We'll have a Summit on Iran, Palestine and the Arab Uprisings, as well as workshops, cultural performances, film showings, protests and creative direct actions. Register now.

      And there's another way you can call for peace with Iran. Help us take out a full-page ad in the influential DC newspaper—The Hill. We'll send a clear message to Congress that AIPAC does not represent the majority of Americans who won't want another war in the Middle East. If you can donate $100 or more, we'll include your name in the ad.

      Now is the time to make a large, people-powered push to show our opposition to the stranglehold the Israel lobby continues to hold over our government. In this new year, let's make sure the US doesn't launch into a new war!

      Say no to AIPAC. Say no to war with Iran. Say no to Israeli occupation. Speak out for peace and justice.

      Actions:

      http://www.codepink4peace.org/calendar.php

      Onward for justice,
      Alli, Farida, Gayle, Janet, Jodie, Kendra, Kristen, Lisa, Melanie, Nancy, Medea, Rae, Sanaa, Sharon, and Tighe

      PS: Register today for the Occupy AIPAC summit and be part of history in the making!

      Bernie Buzz: Where Do We Go From Here?:
      As a new year dawned, Bernie laid out a bold agenda for the coming year. "The American people want action. They want their government to start representing the 99 percent, not just the top 1 percent," he said. As people struggle through the worst economy since the Great Depression, he added, the top priority must be creating jobs by rebuilding our infrastructure and transforming our energy system.
      Read more »

      Saving American Democracy
      Corporations should not be allowed to spend unlimited, undisclosed sums of money to influence political campaigns. "If you or someone you love is a corporation, do not sign this

      http://www.sanders.senate.gov/savingdemocracy

      ," Stephen Colbert tweeted after Bernie was a guest on his show. More than 175,000 people have now signed the petition backing Bernie's constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court's infamous ruling two years ago this month.
      Watch Bernie on The Colbert Report »

      Stop Postal Service Cuts
      One of the first items on the Senate agenda in the new year will be Postal Service reform. Prodded by Bernie, the Postal Service agreed to a five-month moratorium on closing post offices and slashing 100,000 jobs. That gives Congress until May 15 to consider Bernie's Postal Service Protection Act and other reforms. "The post office must adapt to the challenges of the digital age, but we must do it in a way that makes it stronger and more responsible to the needs of consumers and not just cut, cut, cut," Bernie told an American Legion hall packed with 500 people.
      Watch a public meeting about the postal service on C-SPAN »
      Watch Bernie speak at the White River Junction meeting »

      Fighting for Senior Citizens
      Bernie has been a leader in the fight to protect Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. As chairman of the Senate Subcomittee on Primary Health and Aging, he also is working on reauthorizing the Older Americans Act. This landmark law created Meals on Wheels and other programs for seniors. The investment in nutrition services to keep seniors healthy more than pays for itself in reduced health care costs, Bernie told Vermont Public Radio.
      Read the interview »

      http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/92992/sanders-to-sponsor-older-americans-act/

      What do you think about the economy?

      TAKE THE POLL
      Which of the following national economic issues worries you most? Unemployment? Rising prices? Other?

      http://www.sanders.senate.gov/polls/index.cfm

      WHAT ARE YOUR PRIORITIES?
      Sign up for e-mail updates on breaking news from Washington »

      In Other News

      SAVING SOCIAL SECURITY
      Congress made a critical change in how Social Security is funded by extending a payroll tax cut, according to The Washington Post »

      STOP PAUPERIZING WORKERS
      Manufacturers are paying a new generation of blue-collar workers up to $15 an hour less than older employees. "The time is now to prevent the pauperization of America's working class," Bernie wrote to The New York Times »

      TAX JUSTICE
      Increasing income inequality both before and after taxes, the top 0.1 percent of income tax filers experienced an almost two-fold increase in income from 1996 to 2006 while the poorest 20 percent saw their incomes fall by 6 percent, a congressional study found »

      Upcoming Events

      REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER
      Watch Bernie on the HBO show's new season on Friday, Jan. 20 »

      THOM HARTMANN PROGRAM
      Listen to Brunch with Bernie Fridays at noon ET »

      SHARE THIS

      Action Page: Junk SOPA, plus bulk Occupy America bumper stickers:
      Though not as heinous on its face as some other legislation we have
      seen pushed in Congress lately, the so-called Stop Online Piracy Act
      (SOPA) would take a giant ax to the roots of the internet in an
      attempt to a deal with a problem up the branches somewhere.

      Junk SOPA Action Page: http://www.peaceteam.net/action/pnum1091.php

      The bill is so poorly written and vague in its definitions that it
      would potentially criminalize innocent behavior, an open door to
      selective prosecutions. Worse yet, it would give single troll
      complainers the power to completely and unilaterally shut down
      websites on false accusations, and force those sites to engage in
      lengthy legal battles to restore themselves.

      Even those who originally supported the concept of SOPA are appalled
      at the blunderbuss tactics of the bill as presented, and Congress
      must go back to the drawing board, with the input of those who really
      know how the internet works, to come up with a bill that will not do
      more harm than good.

      Though advertised as a bipartisan bill, on closer inspection only two
      Democratic sponsors were initial sponsors, Schiff and Berman, whose
      districts include all the big Hollywood movie studios. What a
      coincidence! And we should add, having just finished producing a
      movie ourselves we have great sympathy for those who deserve to be
      paid for their creative work, for how else can we righteously
      compensate our valiant cast, crew and support people? But this SOPA
      bill is absolutely the wrong way to do it.

      And after you submit the action page you can now request a bulk order
      of the new "Occupy America" bumper stickers that have been so very
      popular. Demonstrate your support for the spreading occupy movements.
      We are just asking about a dollar each in bulk to help cover our
      costs, which include sending free single stickers to anyone who wants
      one. We just got in the latest shipment and all remaining single
      sticker requests are going out now. Here is a direct link to the bulk
      order page.

      Bulk Occupy America bumper stickers:
      http://www.peaceteam.net/bulk_occupy_stickers.php

      And you can still make all the single sticker requests you like at

      Single Occupy American bumper stickers:
      http://www.peaceteam.net/all_bumper_stickers.php

      Mark Your Calendars For A Radio Appearance By The Pen

      In the meantime we are getting attention in the progressive media. On
      Jan. 16 at 2PM PST, yours truly, The Pen, will appear live on the
      Harrison radio show in Los Angeles on KPFK to discuss these latest
      developments. You can tune in from anywhere over the internet at
      either http://www.smartshow.org or http://www.goharrison.com

      We'd also like you to know we are doing the final tweaks now on the
      mix for the theme song for "The Last War Crime" movie and anticipate
      getting it posted on iTunes in about a week. It would be wonderful if
      we could make a splash on iTunes about the song, as a way of
      introducing people to the movie itself. We pulled in the top rock and
      roll and jazz studio musicians in Los Angeles for this, and the best
      background singers on the planet, who have worked with everyone from
      Natalie Cole to Phil Collins. It's one hopping rock and roll track
      entitled, "It's A Crime", so please stay tuned for that.

      Please take action NOW, so we can win all victories that are supposed
      to be ours, and forward this alert as widely as possible.
      Contributions to The People's Email Network are not tax-deductible
      for federal income tax purposes.

      If you would like to get alerts like these, you can do so at
      http://www.peaceteam.net/in.htm

      Ask Mitt Romney: Will you ban birth control?:
      Add your name to this petition to Mitt Romney.

      http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/bc_romney/?r=366362&id=33156-585348-EYbAAPx

      "Do you support the right to contraception provided for by the Supreme Court ruling in Griswold v. Connecticut, which protected the right to privacy and ended the ability of states to prohibit the use of contraceptives?"

      Learn more about this campaign

      The latest battle in the War on Women is over birth control. That's right: the extreme anti-woman Religious Right want to make it legal to ban birth control.

      And recently, Rick Santorum unequivocally stated that he opposes contraception and thinks states should be able to ban the use of contraceptives.1 But Mitt Romney, the other Republican frontrunner, has yet to explain his position on birth control.

      More than 99% of women in America who are sexually active have used contraceptives.2 That is an astounding proportion of the electorate who would be directly affected by the legislative agenda of an anti-contraception president. We deserve to know whether Mitt Romney would work to deny those women the right to access birth control.

      Does Mitt Romney want to make it constitutional to ban birth control in America? Demand a yes or no answer. Click here to automatically sign the petition.

      The right to use contraceptives was guaranteed in the Supreme Court ruling in Griswold v. Connecticut. This ruling guaranteed a right to privacy and deemed it unconstitutional to outlaw birth control.

      The public has a right to know explicitly if Romney agrees with Santorum that Griswold should be overturned — and whether he would seek to overturn it through judicial appointments, legislation or constitutional amendments that would make it possible for states to ban birth control.

      As a frontrunner for the Republican nomination, Mitt Romney very well could be the next President of the United States, and we know that anti-choice members of Congress will continue to push anti-contraceptive legislation. If a bill limiting access to contraception crosses his desk, Romney will have to choose whether to stop the attacks on the millions of women who use contraceptives.

      The American people deserve a clear, unambiguous public statement regarding Romney's position on women's access to birth control.

      Does Mitt Romney want to make it constitutional to ban birth control in America? Demand a yes or no answer.

      Click below to sign the petition:
      http://act.credoaction.com/r/?r=366363&id=33156-585348-EYbAAPx&t=9

      Thank you for speaking out to protect women's rights.

      Ali Rozell, Campaign Manager
      CREDO Action from Working Assets

      1."Rick Santorum is coming for your birth control," Salon, 1-4-2012.
      2."Facts on Contraceptive Use in the United States," Guttmacher Institute, June 2010.

      President Obama: Hold Wall Street banks accountable by fully investigating the big bank fraud that caused the housing crisis:

      http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/obama_banks/?r=657237&id=33381-585348-AtiHEAx

      Actions:

      http://www.credoaction.com/

      Share on Facebook
      Post to your wall

      Tweet this
      Post to Twitter

      This is a message from CREDO / Working Assets. ** CREDO. All rights reserved. Questions? Send us an email or write us at: 101 Market Street, Suite 700, San Francisco, CA 94105.

      A Busy Year Ahead:
      Solidarity with Leonard Peltier--04 February is International Day
      of Solidarity with Leonard Peltier. Visit our Schedule of Events at
      <http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/04FebSolidarity.htm> to locate
      an event near you. Will you be hosting an event? Send details to
      contact@....

      Gear Up for the Struggle--T-shirt Special! Get a 20 percent discount
      (and a free "Free Peltier" button) when you order ONLINE. Gear up
      for the struggle with your choice of "Broken Treaty" or "Visions
      of Freedom". Promotion ends on 04 February 2012. Shipping is free
      for domestic orders.

      <http://lpdoc.blogspot.com/2011/11/freedom-for-leonard-peltier-online.html>

      An Historic Moment, an Historic Year--During its annual conference
      late in 2011, the National Congress of American Indians (NCAI)
      unanimously passed a resolution on behalf of Leonard Peltier and
      pledged to actively initiate and support efforts to bring Leonard
      home. We urge all supporters to print the resolution and send a
      copy to your Members of Congress.

      <http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/download/PDX-11-082_final.pdf>

      Urge your representative and Senators to support the NCAI's efforts
      and also express their support to President Obama for a grant of
      Executive Clemency to Leonard Peltier. Use the tool on the left
      sidebar of our home page to locate your Members of Congress.

      <http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info/index1.htm>

      -------

      Background: Native American activist Leonard Peltier was wrongfully
      convicted in connection with the deaths of two agents of the Federal
      Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Despite the courts' acknowledgment
      of FBI and prosecutorial misconduct in the case, Peltier has been
      imprisoned since 1976, currently at the U.S. Penitentiary at Coleman,
      Florida.

      The evidence shows that the FBI was the aggressor in the firefight
      that occurred on June 26, 1975. From 1973 to 1976, Indigenous
      People on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota were
      victims of beatings, drive-by shootings, and stabbings carried out
      by local vigilantes who collaborated with the FBI. Peltier and
      other Indigenous activists were forced into a defensive posture
      to protect not only their lives, but the lives of others who
      were present-elders, women, and children. Indeed, Mr. Peltier's
      co-defendants, tried separately, were acquitted on grounds of
      self-defense.

      The evidence also clearly shows that the U.S. government's goal
      was to orchestrate Mr. Peltier's conviction by any means-including
      falsifying extradition documents and intentionally committing fraud
      on a Canadian court, as well as suppressing evidence of Mr. Peltier's
      innocence during his trial. By the government's own admission,
      the critical part of the prosecution's case against Mr. Peltier
      was the ballistics testimony which, years after his conviction,
      was discovered to be false.

      You can help to free an innocent man. Learn more about the Peltier
      case at http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info

      Lauched into cyberspace by the
      Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee
      PO Box 7488, Fargo, ND 58106

      http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info

      Special Announcement:
      Joint Message from Friends of Peltier and the Leonard Peltier
      Defense Offense Committee

      Friends and Supporters,

      We wish you a happy holiday season. Enjoy your friends and family
      and good times. May you and your loved ones be doubly blessed in
      the coming year. We know you join us in wishing no less for Leonard
      Peltier and his family.

      The coming year will be an important one for Mr. Peltier. Now,
      more than ever, unity will play a key role in winning Leonard's
      freedom. Therefore, we're pleased to announce the merger of Friends
      of Peltier with the Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee.

      Soon, our mutual Web sites and mailing lists will be merged. Some
      of the assets of Friends of Peltier will be discontinued (those
      being primarily blogs and pages on social networks, so you may wish
      to follow instead the LPDOC blog and pages on Facebook, MySpace,
      Twitter and Google+). This merger should be somewhat seamless and
      occur with a minimum of disruption.

      Via the Free Peltier Now Coalition mailing list, be assured that
      each of you will continue to receive announcements, information
      about Leonard Peltier's case and his statements from prison, as
      well as other pertinent information. Your mailing list subscription
      will remain active unless you choose to unsubscribe. If you are
      registered on both lists, we'll see to it that you don't receive
      duplicate transmissions.

      Current LPDOC subscribers will be added to the service used by
      Friends of Peltier (due to ease of use and exemplary support
      services, and all at a lower cost). Consequently, some of you may
      receive a message asking you to verify your subscription. Simply
      follow the directions in the verification message.

      If you are currently on the Friends list, you should add
      contact@... to your address book to be certain
      our messages are delivered to your e-mail inbox.

      The Peltier support network will be bigger and better for this
      action and we know you will bring the same level of commitment and
      hard work to 2012 as you have to all you do and have always done on
      Leonard's behalf. Remember, we are "Leonard's Legions," hundreds
      of thousands of supporters in solidarity worldwide. We are united
      in one purpose, speak with one voice: Free Leonard Peltier NOW!

      Friends of Peltier and The Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee

      Lauched into cyberspace by the
      Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee
      PO Box 7488, Fargo, ND 58106

      Happy Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday to you, here's a Sample letter:

      Hi. Yeah, according to the remocrats, not to be mistaken for the dempublicans, supposedly, when a man pulls out a person is born, and every company and corporation is also a person, with enumerable inalienable rights, yet, Newt bling Gingrich says kids have no right to education unfettered by required professional work, no right to a childhood unfettered by working a job; all remocrats say, middle-class to poor people have no rights to universal, quality, healthcare, jobs, clean air, water, soil that can grow food, etc.. They say the elderly have no right to the Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, they paid into, and for, their whole lives by being the fine Americans they were their whole lives, they want to privatize, personalize, or just do away with all our societies protections and services for the elderly. They say women have no rights to affordable healthcare, women's healthcare, reproductive care, equal wages for equal work, etc.. They say, and are now trying to insist through legislation, that we don't have the right to vote, unfettered by repressive exaggerated identification demands, by unnecessary and unaffordable fees that are equitable with poll taxes; all attempts to reinstitute Jim Crowism- except universally now. Well, "we, the people…", have news for the republicans, a twinkle in a man's eye, and corporations, aren't people and they don't have inalienable rights, we do, and we'll be voting to get that message across to them in November, 2012! Thanx. Goodbye.

      Matutinally Yours,

      (include your name, address, and in the case of a letter to the editor, your phone #)

      Tell President Obama what you think, etc. :)

      E-Mail: You can use BOTH of the following:

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

      Office of Public Liaison:

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/opl/

      Sites to send emails and letters, to your Senators, etc. :)

      http://www.capwiz.com/fconl/home

      http://www.congress.org/

      Copy, share, as you will! Thanx for all you do.