Occupy & General Strike News LA, Rose Bowl, & Long Beach

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2011
      General Strike Meeting Update, Other Occupy News
      December 31st, 2011
      General Strike meeting for LA region

      Tuesady is subcommittees, Saturday is general meeting. All are welcome to come to both.

      Tuesday Jan. 3, as well as Saturday Jan. 7, the
      meetings will take place at Corazon del Pueblo, 2003 E. First St, Los
      Angeles, CA 90033 (that's near Cummings, east of the Golden State
      Freeway I-5 (that's the easternmost of the 2 I-5's, further east than
      the Santa Ana Freeway).

      Tuesday night's meeting will be at 7:30. Saturday January 7 will
      start at 12:00 NOON (not 1:00 PM).

      General Strike LA Student Subcommittee meeting is Monday afternoon 4:30 PM at Venice Grind
      12224 Venice Blvd
      Los Angeles, CA 90066
      This meeting is on the same day as the events at the Rose Bowl. So for those who can't make this meeting there will be people at the Tuesday night meeting 7:30 PM at Corazon del Pueblo.

      Other events Jan 1 and Jan 2 in Pasadena.
      http://occupytheroseparade.org/
      Michelle Shocked and other bands will be performing on Monday, Cindy Sheehan will be speaking.

      Occupy Long Beach is talking about moving the occupation from Lincoln Park to another site. Interested parties are encouraged to attend the GA outside the entrance to the Main Long Beach Library.
      http://occupylb.org/
      http://www.facebook.com/OccupyLongBeach
      Occupy Long Beach GA Notes 12/30/11

      In Friday's GA several locations were discussed for an overnight occupation. The discussion was mostly surrounding the important factors to consider in choosing another site. We will make this decision in Tuesday's GA.

      In Saturday's GA, we are only discussing a temporary relocation of our GA's, meetings and events to Bixby Park until we resolve an overnight occupation site.

      The following factors were listed as most important in selecting a location:

      Safe place for everyone

      Welcoming atmosphere

      Bathrooms available late night
      Visible to wider community

      OK with existing community

      Accessible (public transit and parking for cars)
      Sidewalk space for sleeping
      The parks under consideration were:

      Martin Luther King, Jr. (btwn Orange & Lemon, and 19th & 20th)
      Veteran's Memorial (28th & Pine, btwn 28th & Spring St)
      Cesar Chavez ( btwn 3rd St & 6th St, and Golden Ave & Shoreline Drive)
      Bixby Park ( btwn Cherry & Junipero, and Ocean & Broadway)
      Marina Green (E Shoreline Drive - Alamitos Ave south of Ocean Blvd)
      Recreation Park (btwn E 7th St & Anaheim St, and Park Ave & PCH)
      If you have the time, please do some research or scouting on how much each location address our needs so that our discussion on Tuesday can be more productive.
      occupylbmail@...

      Happy New Year!!!