Urgent social justice, green, indigenous, act

  • jamesmnordlund
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2011
      Urgent social justice, green, indigenous, act
      These actions on Disabled Greens News and discussion:

      Urgent social justice, green, indigenous, act:

      This petition on change.org: Urgent Act, for all:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/you-urgent-act-for-all?share_id=SMkkIDurmD&pe=pce

      http://www.change.org/petitions/you-urgent-act-for-all

      Urgent: Innocent man about to be executed:
      Dear MoveOn member,

      Troy Davis could be executed as soon as September 21, 2011, for a crime he did not commit. Davis is on death row in Georgia for the 1991 murder of police officer Mark MacPhail. However, since his conviction, seven of the nine witnesses who testified against him have recanted and no physical evidence links Davis to the crime.

      No one should be executed when there are so many doubts about guilt. It is more important than ever that we continue to let Georgia authorities know that we oppose any effort to execute Troy Davis.

      That's why I created a petition to the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles on SignOn.org, which says:

      We, the undersigned, call on Georgia authorities to take all steps necessary to ensure that Troy Anthony Davis is not executed. Seven of the nine witnesses have changed their story and no physical evidence links Davis to the crime. No one should be executed, especially when there are so many doubts about guilt.

      Will you sign the petition? Click here to add your name, and then pass it along to your friends:

      http://www.moveon.org/r?r=263925&id=31093-1718406-NozxOEx&t=2

      Thanks!

      –Ana Zamora, Death Penalty Focus

      The text above was written by Ana Zamora from Death Penalty Focus, not by MoveOn staff, and MoveOn is not responsible for the content. This email was sent through MoveOn's secure system, and your information has been kept private. Death Penalty Focus did not pay for this—we never sell or rent the MoveOn list.

      Another way to help Troy Davis:
      There could be one more avenue to help save Troy Davis from execution on Wednesday September 21 — but to take advantage of it, we need you to speak out now, and ask your friends and family to take action as well.

      We've learned that Chatham County District Attorney Larry Chisolm, who asked a judge to issue Troy's death warrant, can also ask the judge to take it back. This move would be a game-changer — but it'll only happen if he feels more pressure from us to do the right thing than he feels from all those in Savannah calling for Troy's death.

      Click the link below to automatically sign the petition to District Attorney Larry Chisolm, which reads:

      "Based on the major, persistent doubts about his guilt, I call on you to seek a withdrawal of the death warrant against Troy Davis and to support clemency in his case."

      http://act.colorofchange.org/sign/chisolm

      All Troy Davis petitions on change.org:

      Stop my brother Troy Davis' Execution on Sep. 21.:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-my-brother-troy-davis-execution-on-sep-21

      WILL GEORGIA EXECUTE ANTHONY TROY DAVIS ON QUESTIONABLE TESTIMONY?:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/will-georgia-execute-anthony-troy-davis-on-questionable-testimony

      Georgia must re-try Troy Davis:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/georgia-must-re-try-troy-davis

      Help save Troy Davis from execution:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/help-save-troy-davis-from-execution

      Chatham County District Attorney: Request that Troy Davis Death Warrant be Withdrawn:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/chatham-county-district-attorney-request-that-troy-davis-death-warrant-be-withdrawn

      troy davis: Stay the execution of Troy Davis and find him innocent of all charges.:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/troy-davis-stay-the-execution-of-troy-davis-and-find-him-innocent-of-all-charges

      Governor of Georgia.USA: Stop the execution of Troy Davis:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/governor-of-georgiausa-stop-the-execution-of-troy-davis

      Appeals for Clemency and Reprieve from Execution for Troy Anthony Davis:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/appeals-for-clemency-and-reprieve-from-execution-for-troy-anthony-davis

      Georgia pardon and parol boarde: Stay of exacution for troy davis:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/georgia-pardon-and-parol-boarde-stay-of-exacution-for-troy-davis

      the Institute for Tsunamic Justice: To Stop the Execution of Troy Davis by Arresting "Jim Crow":

      http://www.change.org/petitions/the-institute-for-tsunamic-justice-to-stop-the-execution-of-troy-davis-by-arresting-jim-crow

      act / abolition:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/act-abolition

      innocence project:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/innocence-project

      act for social justice:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/act-for-social-justice

      Innocent until proven guilty:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/innocent-until-proven-guilty

      Read Diverse:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/read-diverse

      troy davis: Stop The MODERN DAY LYNCHING:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/troy-davis-stop-the-modern-day-lynching

      troy davis: Please uphold justice and grant clemency to Troy Davis.:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/troy-davis-please-uphold-justice-and-grant-clemency-to-troy-davis-3

      Too much doubt to execute:
      Mounting doubts about the evidence against Troy Davis include seven of the nine witnesses recanting their testimony and the statements by several of the witnesses that they were pressured by the police to identify Troy Davis as the murderer of off-duty police officer Mark Allen MacPhail in 1989. Of the two remaining witnesses, one is the initial suspect.

      Green Party members speak out to stop execution of Troy Davis in Georgia, urge abolition of the death penalty

      http://www.gp.org/press/pr-national.php?ID=448

      Peltier Moved to FL:
      According to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, Leonard Peltier has
      been moved from Oklahoma City to the U.S. Penitentiary at Coleman,
      Florida.

      The United States Penitentiary I in Coleman is a high security
      facility located in central Florida approximately 50 miles northwest
      of Orlando, 60 miles northeast of Tampa, and 35 miles south of Ocala.

      LEONARD PELTIER #89637-132
      USP COLEMAN I
      U.S. PENITENTIARY
      P.O. BOX 1033
      COLEMAN, FL 33521

      This is nearly 2,000 miles from Leonard's Nation, the Turtle Mountain
      Band of Chippewa Indians, in North Dakota! Tell the Federal Bureau
      of Prisons that the only acceptable transfer is one to a medium
      security facility in close proximity to (within a 500-mile radius
      of) his family and Nation. Ideally, Leonard should be moved to the
      medium security facility at Oxford, WI.

      Dr. Thomas Kane,
      Acting Director
      Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP)
      320 1st Street, NW
      Washington, DC 20534
      Phone: (202) 307-3250 (Director); (202) 307-3198
      (Switchboard)
      Fax: (202) 514-6620
      ----

      Leonard Peltier Moved:
      Alert Leonard Peltier has been moved! Read more at

      < http://freepeltiernow.blogspot.com/2011/09/leonard-peltier-has-been-moved.html > .

      ----

      Time to set him free... Because it is the RIGHT thing to do.

      Friends of Peltier

      http://www.FreePeltierNow.org

      NAMMYS NOMINATIONS--Please vote!:
      From: George Blitch, Publisher

      HaveYouThought.com

      Houston, TX

      Sep 14, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

      Today is a joyous day! We just found out that two of the CDs my friends and I have worked on have received a total of 5 NAMA nominations! Thank you to everyone that voted to get them nominated! We truly appreciate it!

      The CD, "My Life Is My Sun Dance: Prison Writings of Leonard Peltier" has been nominated for Best Historical Linguistic and Best Spoken Word recordings. The CD features readings of Peltier's words, by best-selling author and former National Geographic writer/editor of 23 years, Harvey Arden, with musical accompaniment by Rev. Goat Carson & the New Orleans Light.

      http://haveyouthought.com/

      Vote: http://www.nativeamericanmusicawards.com/votenow.cfm

      Chevron doesn't want you to know Servio's story:
      Chevron doesn't want you to know Servio's story– or the stories of any of the thousands of other Ecuadoreans who are suffering from the oil contamination in their Amazon home that Chevron refuses to clean up.

      Can you help make sure Chevron can't silence Servio? Here's the YouTube link to a video of an impassioned speech he gave outside of Chevron's annual shareholder meeting, in which he vows to honor the memories of his family members by refusing to give up the fight to bring Chevron to justice. You can copy and paste the link into Facebook, Twitter, or any other website where you can share the video:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBFInCkFi70

      Rainforest Action Network
      221 Pine Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94104 USA
      Phone: (415) 398-4404 Fax: (415) 398-2732

      http://ran.org/

      Act: http://ran.org/content/take-action-online

      Stop Cantor's More Pollution, Less Jobs Agenda:
      This week Congress is voting on the first in a series of toxic, anti-environment bills. Don't let these attacks on vital public health protections go unchallenged. Click here to e-mail your member of Congress.

      https://secure3.convio.net/lcv/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=707

      "Freeze our Fukushimas" – ACT NOW to close dangerous reactors!:
      Explosion at French nuclear site serves as another reminder of the grave risks; Help us Freeze our Fukushimas

      http://www.beyondnuclear.org/home/2011/9/12/breaking-news-explosion-at-french-nuclear-waste-processing-p.html

      Explosion at French nuclear site serves as another reminder of the grave risks

      http://www.beyondnuclear.org/

      September E-newsletter: Peru's President Signs Prior Consultation Law:
      Russia Campaign Update: Surveyors Mark Pipeline Route Across Ukok Plateau

      http://www.culturalsurvival.org/take-action/russia/2/reroute-gas-pipeline-construction

      Urge President Obama to Block Construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline

      http://www.culturalsurvival.org/take-action/keystone

      Honduras Campaign Update: Sinohydro's Track Record Exposed

      http://www.culturalsurvival.org/take-action/honduras-dont-dam-patuca-river

      Indigenous Rights: Four Years Since Historic UN Vote:
      Fourth Anniversary of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples

      http://www.culturalsurvival.org/

      Greetings to all our friends,

      In the shadow of the tenth anniversary of September 11, 2001, many people failed to recognize another significant event. Four years ago, on September 13, 2007, the United Nations General Assembly signed into existence the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP).

      The adoption of this declaration spanned and encompassed continents and has become a universal agreement for Indigenous Peoples rights and a blueprint for how Indigenous People worldwide should be treated. Meticulously detailed and crafted, the UNDRIP seeks to affirm and empower people who for centuries have systematically faced genocide and have continually experienced human rights violation.

      As Indigenous Peoples, our voices finally became quite clear through the 46 articles within the declaration. These articles were created specifically to protect our lands, languages, traditions and cultures and our right to self-determination as Peoples. Yet, Indigenous Peoples still need to advocate for UNDRIP's complete implementation.

      Extractive industries and human rights violations continue to plague us and we must be ever vigilant and assertive of our rights. This is nothing new for us. For centuries, Indigenous Peoples have struggled to keep safe the affirmations of life that matter most to us: harmony, respect, relationships, hope, and dignity.

      For many who are not Indigenous, these are abstract and untenable values that are not considered where corporate or government interests are concerned. We must remind these people. We must remind them that these are values we have written into UNDRIP and we intend to have them nurtured and brought to life at every opportunity.

      As this fourth anniversary of UNDRIP unfolds, Cultural Survival asks its members to think about ways in which we all, as human beings, might further these life-affirming values.

      We ask that you stand behind the message that Cultural Survival continues to send: we are all part of the human community and inextricably linked. The importance of UNDRIP's vision is simple, yet profoundly necessary for the sustainability of communities everywhere.

      Suzanne Benally (Navajo and Santa Clara Tewa)

      Executive Director

      Cultural Survival is a global leader in the fight to protect Indigenous lands, languages, and cultures around the world. In partnership with Indigenous Peoples, we advocate for Native communities whose rights, cultures, and dignity are under threat. For more information go to http://www.cs.org

      Forward email |Privacy Policy.

      Cultural Survival | 215 Prospect St | Cambridge | MA | 02139

      An expedition to the Arctic:
      The impact of the melt outside my porthole will also be felt far beyond the Arctic Circle. The sea ice is vital, not just for the polar bears, but for all of us; it acts as the world's air conditioning system.

      The great Arctic melt should be a wake up call. Instead, it's being seen as a chance for oil companies - led by Cairn - to grab the last drops of the fuels that caused the ice to shrink in the first place.

      Greenpeace is campaigning to halt climate change and protect the Arctic. Thank you for being a part of that campaign.

      If you haven't already done so, please ask Greenland's government to cancel Cairn's oil drilling programme.

      http://e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=18&ea.campaign.id=11834&utm_source=20110915ebulletinarctic&utm_medium=email&utm_term=beyondoil&utm_campaign=climate

      Thank you!
      Joss Garman

      PS Tomorrow, 20 protestors will stand trial for climbing Cairn's Leiv Eiriksson rig off Greenland to demand their oil spill response plan. You can follow their progress - and all my updates from the Arctic Sunrise - at www.greenpeace.org.uk/arctic.

      Forward this email to a friend >>

      Share on: Facebook Twitter

      Greenpeace Ltd, Canonbury Villas, London N1 2PN (registered in London no 1314381, VAT registration no 625951426)

      A cry for help from the Arctic:
      Today, our planet is sending us a loud cry for help. Sea ice in the Arctic Ocean has reached its second lowest extent in recorded history - the lowest ever was just four years ago.

      Like miners who used canaries to warn of deadly gases, we have the extent and volume of this ice to warn us of climate change. This warning is loud and clear: if we continue with business as usual, we put our planet in peril.

      http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/climate-change/arctic-impacts/Protect-the-Arctic/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GPI%20Sept%202011%20-%20Sea%20ice%20minimum%20(1)&utm_content=

      Act: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/getinvolved/

      40 years:
      Dear friends,

      In 1971, a small group of activists set sail from Vancouver Canada to bear witness to US underground nuclear testing. Armed with little more than a belief in the power of individuals, their actions marked the birth of Greenpeace.

      Today marks the 40th anniversary of Greenpeace. It is a milestone occasion, which would never have been possible without the unwavering support of millions of people worldwide who share our vision of a green and peaceful future. People like you.

      http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/news/Blogs/makingwaves/40-years-of-inspiring-action/blog/36808/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GPI%20-%20September%202011%20-%2040%20years%20(1)&utm_content=

      Thank you so much.

      Join us in celebrating our anniversary through personal action. Here's how:

      1. Our ship, the Arctic Sunrise, is at the edge of the receding sea ice, bearing witness to the effects of climate change on that fragile ecosystem. Join them in calling for a greener future by signing this petition against Arctic oil drilling. Every voice counts.

      http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/climate-change/arctic-impacts/Protect-the-Arctic/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GPI%20-%20September%202011%20-%2040%20years%20(1)&utm_content=

      Ottho Heldringstraat 5, 1066 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands

      A horrible way to die:
      Help us save sea turtles by putting an end to destructive fishing practices by the tuna industry. Make your gift today.

      Largely due to the tuna industry's destructive fishing methods, some Pacific sea turtle populations have declined as much as 95% over the last thirty years.

      https://secure3.convio.net/gpeace/site/SPageServer?pagename=current_donate_form&id=reus_donateTunaV2&s_src=tuna&autologin=true&JServSessionIdr004=yic3hq6vu3.app331a

      That's why Greenpeace is mounting a public campaign to expose the truth behind the tuna industry and to get them to clean up their act. But to really turn up the pressure we need to raise $60,000 in the next 48 hours. Please make a donation today and help us save these sea turtles and protect the oceans.

      As you're reading this email, it's likely that a sea turtle caught on a tuna industry long line is slowly drowning somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.

      Special delivery for Chicken of the Sea:
      Take Action: Follow-up with Chicken of the Sea right now with a direct message and demand that they respond to the issues outlined in the letter you signed.

      https://secure3.convio.net/gpeace/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=915

      Greenpeace
      702 H Street, NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20001 | 1-800-722-6995

      News from the Green Party- September 2011:
      Back to http://www.GP.org

      Give to the Green Party, Get Your Green Pages!

      Green Pages, the national newspaper of the Green Party of the United States, is once again in print. Check out the new stories in the online version, or order a bundle of 50 or 100 Green Pages to distribute at your local meetings, community events, and on the campaign trail. The latest edition has stories about:

      -The Green Parties of New York State and Pennsylvania's campaigns again destructive hydrofracking,

      -fighting anti-immigrant xenophobia in Arizona,

      -Elizabeth May's historic parliamentary win in Canada and how Greens in the US can emulate it, and much more!

      Order fifty copies for $15 or one hundred copies for $30 today! NOTE: we are in the process of upgrading our online store. Please order Green Pages by email at office@... or by phone at 202-319-7191.

      Green Party, Responding to President Obama's September 8th Address, Calls 'Green New Deal' the Key to Job Creation

      http://www.gp.org/press/pr-national.php?ID=446

      Responding to President Obama's speech Thursday night, the Green Party today called for a 'Green New Deal' to put Americans back to work while helping the US transition to a carbon-free green economy.

      Green Party leaders said that President Obama's new jobs proposal will fall far short of finding enough jobs for the 25 million Americans who need employment. They sharply criticized the president for failing to call for revenue measures needed to finance a robust jobs creation program, including taxes on Wall Street speculation, off-shore tax havens, millionaires and multimillion dollar estates, as well as a 30% reduction in the trillion-dollar bloated military-industrial-security complex budget.

      "President Obama refused to address the massive problem of income inequality, a major cause of the economic recession. The wealthiest 1% of Americans now take home 24% of the national income, up from 9% in 1976. The last time the US had such massive income inequality was in 1927, which pushed the country into the Great Depression because of the loss of consumer spending," said Laura Wells, Green candidate for the 2010 governor's race in California.

      Click here to read more.

      http://www.gp.org/press/pr-national.php?ID=446

      Candidates Begin to Declare Intent, Show Interest in the Green Party's Presidential Nomination

      The Green Party's Presidential Campaign Support Committee is working to recruit and inform candidates for the 2012 Presidential race. The independent blog Green Party Watch published this story about declared and potential candidates. Please start promoting the Green Party in your community to help build support for Green candidates in this year's fall elections and 2012 campaigns!

      http://www.greenpartywatch.org/

      Workshops, Speeches from Last Month's National Meeting Available on iTunes

      Click here to download free videos from our Annual National Meeting held last month in Alfred, New York.

      Support the Green Party!

      Contribute today. A Greener future is within our reach. Your donation today can help us bring the vision we share a little closer to reality.

      You can sustain the Green Party by making a monthly contribution here.

      Spread our message by joining us on Facebook and Twitter.

      Thank you!
    • thevolutionaries
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2011
        The Rainbow PUSH Coalition Continues to Show Support for Troy Davis:

        http://rainbowpush.org/news/single/the_rainbow_push_coalition_continues_to_show_support_for_troy_davis