Urgent: P.E.N.: PEN Actions and advpocacy

  • jamesmnordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2011
      P.E.N.: PEN Actions and advpocacy
      These actions on Disabled Greens News and discussion:
      P.E.N.: PEN Actions and advpocacy:

      These petitions on change.org: Freedom of the press:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/freedom-of-the-press?share_id=rCUorNvxRL&pe=pce

      Read: vote no, HR 1800, yes, HR 1805:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/read-vote-no-hr-1800-yes-hr-1805?share_id=ovVnlSPcKT&pe=pce

      Investigate torture, due process violations:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/investigate-torture-due-process-violations?share_id=VpXGEfQSSn&pe=pce

      P.E.N.: PEN CAMPAIGN AGAINST TORTURE & DUE-PROCESS VIOLATIONS:

      http://www.pen.org/page.php/prmID/1522

      Please, investigate torture, due process violations:

      Attorney General Eric Holder
      U.S. Department of Justice
      950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
      Washington, DC 20530-0001
      Fax: (202) 307-6777
      Email: AskDOJ@...

      Sample letter:

      Dear Attorney General Holder,

      I applaud your commitment to restoring the rule of law by appointing an independent prosecutor to investigate the use of torture and other due process violations carried out in the name of antiterrorism and national security. I am writing to encourage you to ensure that the investigation is complete. I believe that it is imperative that the American people have an accurate record of the abuses that have occurred and an understanding of how those abuses were tolerated or encouraged. We will never achieve true accountability by limiting the scope of the investigation and overlooking those who commissioned and authorized these illegal acts- some at the highest level of our government. Only by thoroughly investigating the crimes that were committed in America's name and holding accountable those who authorized torture can we move forward and ensure that these abuses are not repeated.

      I therefore call for a full and thorough investigation of torture that follows the evidence- wherever it may lead. Thank you for your attention to this critical matter.

      Sincerely,

      This petition on change.org: Investigate torture, due process violations:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/investigate-torture-due-process-violations?share_id=VpXGEfQSSn&pe=pce

      P.E.N.: Campaign for Reader Privacy Call to Action:
      STOP EXTENSION OF BOOKSTORE AND LIBRARY SEARCH POWERS:

      http://www.readerprivacy.org/news.jsp

      Freedom to Read: vote no, HR 1800, yes, HR 1805:

      Dear Representative,

      Booksellers, librarians, publishers, authors, and all who support the right to read without fear that the government is reading over our shoulders are urged to contact their U.S. Representatives this week and urge them to vote NO on H.R. 1800, a bill that would extend for another six years the government's power to conduct unnecessary searches of bookstore and library records, and to vote YES on H.R. 1805, a bill that would provide additional protections for bookstore and library records. Thank you for your attention to this critical matter.

      Sincerely,

      This petition on change.org: Read: vote no, HR 1800, yes, HR 1805:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/read-vote-no-hr-1800-yes-hr-1805?share_id=ovVnlSPcKT&pe=pce

      P.E.N.: FOR PRESS FREEDOM IN THE UNITED STATES: Petition:
      Protecting public access to both governmental information and a full range of voices from the United States and around the world. Please sign the petition:

      http://www.pen.org/page.php/prmID/1352

      This petition on change.org: Freedom of the press:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/freedom-of-the-press?share_id=rCUorNvxRL&pe=pce

      Thanks for all you do!

      james m nordlund