Int’l Womens Day 100th anniv + celebrate Womens History Mth

  • jamesmnordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2011
      Int'l Womens Day 100th anniv + celebrate Womens History Mth
      These actions on Disabled Greens News and discussion:
      Int'l Womens Day 100th anniv + celebrate Womens History Mth:

      This petition on change.org: 100th Int'l Womens Day + Womens History Mth:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/100th-intl-womens-day-womens-history-mth?share_id=GZqvHPdnbh&pe=pce

      Stop the U.S. Senate From Cutting Foreign Aid! :)
      As you know only too well, more than 1.4 billion people around the world are struggling to survive on less than $1 a day. For these people, international aid is a lifeline – supporting programs that fight poverty and help disaster victims to rebuild their lives, homes and businesses.

      Unfortunately, Congress is poised to make sweeping cuts to this desperately needed aid unless we can convince them not to.

      Time is of the essence – the U.S. Senate will vote on the 2011 budget this week:
      Please send your senators a letter urging them to reject these cuts today.

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6214/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=2074

      Tough economic times have led to a growing desire to cut budgets and many have argued that we should start with international assistance. But investing in a more secure and prosperous world is not only morally responsible, it's also fiscally responsible.

      And although international assistance accounts for less than 1 percent of the United States budget, it does a tremendous amount of good in the world.

      Yet some members of Congress are trying to eliminate assistance, destroying the ability to get help to those who need it most. The House of Representatives has already voted to make sweeping cuts to this much-needed aid. Reductions include cutting global AIDS, malaria and hunger programs by 41 percent. By comparison, other budget accounts are reduced by an average of just 8 percent.

      Now it's up to us to help convince the Senate not to follow the House's lead…

      Please contact your senators today to ask them to oppose harmful cuts to international assistance.

      These cuts would be short-sighted, hurting millions of people who are already struggling to take care of their families.

      We only have until tomorrow to get this message to Congress. Please raise your voice today – now is the most critical time.

      Thank you again for your support.

      http://www.accion.org/

      Sincerely,

      Alexandra Shaw
      Manager, Online Communications
      ACCION International

      Support Our Work: Make a tax-deductible donation to help ACCION bring microfinance services to low-income people in 2011.

      Will you meet me on the bridge? :)
      All around the world, from Libya to Madison, people are rising up to create true Democracy. You can, too.

      This is a great time to engage in activism because this month, on March 8, we will be celebrating the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day. Let's pay tribute to the amazing Egyptian women who braved tear gas and bullets to overthrow Hosni Mubarak as well as all the women throughout the Middle East who are engaged in epic struggles for their rights. We are partnering with Women for Women International in an international "Join me on the Bridge"

      http://www.codepink.org/section.php?id=446

      campaign to link women in war-torn countries with women around the world. It's easy to join or create an event in your area --be sure to bring our "Bring Our War $$ Home" signs, petitions, and messaging.

      We can also create bridges with women in Iraq by taking our "Bring Our War $$ Home" message to events marking the 8th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq on March 19. Don't forget to wear your Bring Our War $$ Home tee-shirt!

      This is supposed to be the last year of the horrific U.S. occupation of Iraq, but our troops will only come home if we keep the pressure on the administration. Let's also remind our administration--especially with the calls for intervention in Libya--that the military can't bring democracy to the Middle East; only a robust people's movement can do that.

      Let's pay tribute to women in war-torn areas by listening to them! We invite you to discover what is unfolding in the Middle East in a special Global Room for Women teleconference series, "With Love from the Middle East: Meet the Women Building Peace," that we have been honored to help with. Sign up for a series of 9 interactive calls with four engaging women building peace in Gaza, Pakistan, Egypt, and Iraq. Or, choose the calls most interesting to you.

      https://www.globalroomforwomen.com/the-speakers.html

      In Solidarity,

      Medea, Ali, Alli, Chelsea, Farida, Jean, Janet, Jodie, Kristen, Logan, Nancy, Natalia, Rae, Shaden, and Tighe

      PS: Yesterday, 22 charges were filed against accused WikiLeaks whistleblower Pfc. Bradley Manning, including one that carries the death penalty. Join us

      http://codepinkalert.org/form.php?modin=132

      and our friends to rally for Bradley and send a message that blowing the whistle on war crimes is not a crime.

      Uncontacted tribes: Peru takes action, and more :)
      Over six million people have watched incredible footage of an uncontacted Amazon tribe released last month.

      Nearly 100,000 signed a Survival petition asking the Peruvian government to act. Under pressure, Peru has sent Survival its action plan to protect uncontacted tribes from loggers.

      If the government delivers on its promises, these most vulnerable peoples will survive.
      More »

      http://www.uncontactedtribes.org/brazilfootage?utm_source=Survival+International&utm_campaign=59fca26e41-E_news_March_2011_3_3_2011&utm_medium=email#main-box

      Wikileaks reveals the scale of illegal logging in Peru
      Meanwhile, a US embassy cable released by Wikileaks shows that most of the mahogany leaving Peru has been logged illegally.

      Survival's Director, Stephen Corry, said, `Consumers in the US and Europe simply can't rely on documents that purport to show Peruvian mahogany is sustainably sourced, as these are clearly not worth the paper they're written on.'
      More »

      http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/7061?utm_source=Survival+International&utm_campaign=59fca26e41-E_news_March_2011_3_3_2011&utm_medium=email

      Right now, over 100 'uncontacted tribes' are fighting for their privacy, way of life,

      health and homes because of governments and corporations invading their territories for oil, lumber and more. Join me in signing the petition to protect their land and lives. Thanks for spreading the word."
      - Leonardo DiCaprio

      http://www.uncontactedtribes.org/brazilfootage?utm_source=Survival+International&utm_campaign=59fca26e41-E_news_March_2011_3_3_2011&utm_medium=email#main-box

      To all humanity, from the world's tribes
      What links rainforest medicines, a root vegetable that feeds a billion people and the natural latex used to make tyres for the space shuttle?

      They are all discoveries by tribal peoples — gifts which have shaped the world.
      More »

      http://www.survivalinternational.org/articles/3124-gifts-to-all-humanity?utm_source=Survival+International&utm_campaign=59fca26e41-E_news_March_2011_3_3_2011&utm_medium=email

      In the next edition...
      Survival will release one of the first interviews ever filmed with Brazil's remote Zo'é tribe.

      Missionaries made contact in the 1980s, and many Zo'é died of disease soon after. But their land is now protected, and the tribe's numbers are growing again.

      Supporter updates Monthly e-news Urgent actions Shopping offers

      Survival International USA, 2325 3rd Street, Suite 413, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
      T +1 415 503 1254 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +1 415 503 1254 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

      Survival International, 6 Charterhouse Buildings, LONDON, UK, EC1M 7ET
      T +44(0)20 7687 8700 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +44(0)20 7687 8700 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

      http://www.survivalinternational.org

      Tell us what you think: How can we improve our website? :)
      Dear friends,

      The Elders will be launching a new website later this year, and we wanted to take this opportunity to ask our supporters about our current website.

      We'd like to know what you think works, what doesn't, and what you would like to see more of.

      The survey should take no longer than 3 minutes to complete and will help us to provide you with a clear, informative and interactive website.

      http://www.surveymonkey.com/Home_Landing.aspx?sm=J3QzBz%2fpXTwizVcQwKJ6oBto5gsqt116CRKbnYbX2%2bM%3d

      We'll be in touch again soon with more opportunities to get involved in the work of The Elders.

      With best wishes,

      The Elders' Team

      THE ELDERS | ABOUT THE ELDERS | MEDIA | CONNECT

      Follow The Elders on Twitter
      Join us on Facebook

      You're receiving this newsletter because you signed up at

      http://www.theElders.org

      The Elders Foundation, PO BOX 60837, London W6 6GS

      Stop anti-abortion terror in Wichita– before another doctor is murdered :)
      Tell Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt and Sedgwick County District Attorney Nola Foulston that this country can not allow threats and intimidation to prevent doctors from providing abortion. Urge them to take action now to stop anti-abortion terrorist tactics in Wichita – before another abortion doctor is murdered.

      SIGN THE PETITION

      http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/1400/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=6044

      "Are doctors who are willing to provide [abortions] still just on their own, with their face on WANTED posters … waiting to see what happens next?"

      Rachel Maddow posed that question this week as she reported on the latest threats, harassment and terror campaign against Dr. Mila Means, who has announced plans to provide abortions in Wichita, Kansas – the first time abortions will be available there since the murder of Dr. George Tiller in May 2009.

      Urge Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt and Sedgwick County District Attorney Nola Foulston to act now and stop anti-abortion extremists from escalating their campaign of terror in Wichita – before another doctor is murdered.

      After discovering Dr. Means' plans to provide abortions, Operation Rescue – which led a 7-year campaign of intimidation and harassment against Dr. Tiller – announced its plans to keep Wichita "abortion-free." Disruptive protests targeting Dr. Means' family practice office in Wichita soon followed, WANTED-style posters featuring her photograph and address are being circulated, and this past week, a dozen anti-abortion zealots stalked Dr. Means at her suburban Wichita home.

      Enough is enough! Act:

      https://feminist.org/action/index.html

      We cannot be silent while yet another courageous doctor in Wichita is threatened … or worse.

      The previous Attorney General of Kansas, Phill Kline, not only failed to prosecute anti-abortion extremists' threats and illegal stalking of Dr. Tiller, he launched a politically driven inquisition of Dr. Tiller, seizing the medical records of women who sought abortions, and bringing unfounded criminal charges against Dr. Tiller. The charges were dismissed by a state court, only to be resurrected by Kline's successor, Paul J. Morrison. Dr. Tiller was eventually tried and found not guilty by a jury on all counts.

      We cannot let this happen again. Threats of violence against abortion providers intended to prevent them from providing reproductive health care services, like those against Dr. Means, are prohibited under the Freedom of Access to Clinics Act (FACE). And extremists can – and should – be prosecuted for violating Kansas anti-stalking laws and criminal threats and trespass laws.

      Violent anti-abortion extremists who shoot doctors are not lone wolves. They work within a network of extremist advocates, and are emboldened by an atmosphere in which acts of intolerable harassment, vandalism, and threats are not adequately dealt with by law enforcement.

      It's been almost two years since Dr. George Tiller was murdered by anti-abortion zealot Scott Roeder, who was involved with Operation Rescue and active in a network of anti-abortion extremists that included Army of God adherents and "Justifiable Homicide" advocates.

      Now, incredibly, many of these same anti-abortion extremists are again targeting another doctor in Wichita – Dr. Mila Means.

      This country must make it clear that violence and terror against abortion providers anywhere will not be tolerated.

      Please sign the letter to Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt and Sedgwick County District Attorney Nola Foulston, and share it with your friends. If we all speak out, our voices cannot be ignored.

      For Women's Lives,

      Eleanor Smeal
      President

      Kathy Spillar
      Executive Vice President

      P.S. Please sign your letter today and share it with your friends. We cannot let the anti-abortion extremists win in the streets with their campaign of violence, terror and harassment.

      1600 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 801, Arlington, VA, 22209 | 703.522.2214 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 703.522.2214 end_of_the_skype_highlighting | webmaster@...

      Consumer Protection for Students and Taxpayers Take Action! :)
      Education in America has changed. High school diplomas no longer provide a ticket to the middle class; more than ever before, advanced training is critical to finding and keeping a good job. Enrollment in post-secondary career programs has risen sharply, and so has the number of schools trying to grab a piece of the tuition pie. Some of these schools are "for-profit" -- that is, schools run by profit-seeking companies.

      Schools that receive federal taxpayer dollars in the form of student financial aid grants and federally-guaranteed student loans must be held accountable for the quality and outcomes of the education they provide -- for profits and non-profits alike.

      To be eligible to receive these funds, federal law currently requires post-secondary career education programs to prepare students for future "gainful employment." That term has not been well-defined, opening the possibility that schools which fail to provide adequate opportunities for their students may still receive federal financial aid dollars. With the growth of the for-profit education sector, it is more important than ever that the government be clear: If a school wants to benefit from federal funds, it has to ensure students are prepared for employment in the careers for which they've trained.

      Some schools have resisted the Department of Education's efforts to hold programs accountable for their use of taxpayer dollars. AAUW stands by the Department's efforts to issue and enforce a strong rule about the meaning of "gainful employment" to ensure all post-secondary career education programs are held accountable to students and taxpayers for the product -- the education -- they are selling.

      Federal tuition assistance dollars are an investment in the future economic strength of our workforce and our country's prosperity. The financially difficult times make it even more important that we make sure these tax dollars used towards that end. Tell your senators to preserve the role of the Department of Education to protect college students and taxpayers by holding schools accountable for the use of the public's investment.

      Take Action!

      http://capwiz.com/aauw/issues/alert/?alertid=31970501&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]

      Tell your senators to preserve the Department of Education's role in protecting students and taxpayers by providing a long-overdue definition of "gainful employment!" Click on the "Take Action" link in the upper right hand corner to send a message to your senators.

      Leave your comments about this legislation on AAUW Dialog.

      http://blog-aauw.org/2010/05/28/the-american-dream/

      Follow AAUW on Twitter, and read our award-winning AAUW Dialog Blog for discussion, information, and advocacy for women and girls!

      General AAUW questions? Please contact connect@... or call 800/326-2289 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 800/326-2289 end_of_the_skype_highlighting between 10 am and 5 pm Eastern, Monday through Friday.

      This is how we stop them :)
      You are amazing. Ever since the House of Representatives voted to bar Planned Parenthood from all federal funding, we have seen a massive outpouring of support. I've always known how deeply you and other supporters care about Planned Parenthood and the women, men, and teens who rely on us — but I've never seen anything like this.

      Here are five ways you can help, right now:

      If you haven't already, sign our open letter to the members of Congress who voted to bar Planned Parenthood from federal funding — and to the senators who still have a chance to stop it. Half a million people have already signed. Add your name.

      https://secure.ppaction.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=pp_ppol_ws_I_Stand_with_PP&pw_id=3007&s_src=istandwppfeb2011things5ppol&JServSessionIdr004=4wa081g1v1.app202b

      Take a stand for Planned Parenthood and the women, men, and teens who rely on us in your community. Click here to find out about local events near you.

      Make a gift to Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The work that lies ahead of us as the bill moves to the Senate for consideration is nothing short of astonishing. We need your help to rise to this incredible challenge.

      Find out how your representative voted on the bill to bar Planned Parenthood from federal funding — and then let him or her know how you feel.

      http://www.ppaction.org/site/VoteCenter?page=voteInfo&voteId=11567&scid=1028&pw_id=2964&s_src=istandwppfeb2011things5ppol

      Share your story. Extreme anti-choice groups and their allies in Congress are spreading lies and misinformation about who we are and what we do. Help set the record straight by sharing your story about how Planned Parenthood has been there for you, your family, or your friends.

      http://www.raiseyourhand.org/

      I can't tell you what an enormous difference your unwavering dedication makes right now for Planned Parenthood and the women, men, and teens who rely on us.

      Supporters like you truly are the heart and soul of this organization. Thank you for standing with us.

      Sincerely,

      Cecile Richards, President
      Planned Parenthood Federation of America

      visit http://www.plannedparenthood.org

      © 2011 Planned Parenthood Federation of America

      Intn'l Womens Day Actions:

      http://humanrights.change.org/petitions/view/intnl_womens_day_actions

      Good Women's History Month, Act for healthcare:

      http://womensrights.change.org/petitions/view/good_womens_history_month_act_for_healthcare

      Act for women?:

      http://womensrights.change.org/petitions/view/act_for_women

      History of Women Month:

      http://humantrafficking.change.org/petitions/view/history_of_women_month

      Act Womens History Month :)

      http://globalhealth.change.org/petitions/view/act_womens_history_month
      Womens History Month Acts:

      http://womensrights.change.org/petitions/view/womens_history_month_acts

      Valentine Day Coin Drop :)

      http://womensrights.change.org/petitions/view/valentine_day_coin_drop

      Amend the Constitution for all women, etc..:

      http://womensrights.change.org/petitions/view/amend_the_constitution_for_all_women_etc

      Improving Literacy Through School Libraries kept open:

      http://education.change.org/petitions/view/improving_literacy_through_school_libraries_kept_open

      World AIDS Day Act:

      http://humantrafficking.change.org/petitions/view/world_aids_day_act

      Black History Month, celebrate with advocacy and activism:

      This petition on change.org: Black History Month, celebrate and act:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/black-history-month-celebrate-and-act?share_id=rpqKrvTtHg&pe=pce

      Black History Month:

      http://uspoverty.change.org/petitions/view/black_history_month

      Act Black History Month:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/act-black-history-month

      Black History Month, Act:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/black-history-month-act

      Art/Act: celebrate Dr. M.L. King, Jr.'s holiday:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/view/artact_celebrate_dr_ml_king_jrs_holiday?share_id=QjOkAUGeBQ&pe=pce

      Earth Day Coin Drop :)

      http://globalwarming.change.org/petitions/view/earth_day_coin_drop

      Thanksgiving Coin Drop:

      http://uspoverty.change.org/petitions/view/thanksgiving_coin_drop

      Act/Art: New Year's poetree:

      http://womensrights.change.org/petitions/view/actart_new_years_poetree
      art, post/discuss poem :)

      http://socialentrepreneurship.change.org/petitions/view/art_postdiscuss_poem

      Opportunity / Teachers:

      http://education.change.org/petitions/view/opportunity_teachers

      Art/Act For Poetry Month:

      http://socialentrepreneurship.change.org/petitions/view/artact_for_poetry_month

      Learn from writers:

      http://education.change.org/petitions/view/learn_from_writers

      see film + advocate:

      http://socialentrepreneurship.change.org/petitions/view/see_film_advocate

      "...Sav(ing) Us":

      http://education.change.org/petitions/view/saving_us

      JABULANI against HIV/AIDS:

      http://humanrights.change.org/petitions/view/jabulani_against_hivaids
      Arts and Activism:

      http://socialentrepreneurship.change.org/petitions/view/arts_and_activism

      ART FOR CHANGE:

      http://immigration.change.org/petitions/view/art_for_change

      music rebuilding lives:

      http://socialentrepreneurship.change.org/petitions/view/music_rebuilding_lives

      free speech film:

      http://education.change.org/petitions/view/free_speech_film

      got milk?:

      http://gayrights.change.org/petitions/view/got_milk

      new media:

      http://socialentrepreneurship.change.org/petitions/view/new_media

      Read Diverse:

      http://www.change.org/petitions/view/read_diverse

      Voices:

      http://humantrafficking.change.org/petitions/view/voices

      Wisdom of Native America:

      http://socialentrepreneurship.change.org/petitions/view/wisdom_of_native_america

      Related action on Disabled Greens News and Discussion, the url:

      Art/Act: Good Poetry Month, Write On: