World AIDS Day Acts :)

  • reality (aja) :)
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010
      World AIDS Day Acts :)

      This post on Disabled Greens News and discussion:

      The Global Fund :)

      supported programs deliver AIDS treatment for 3 million people :)

      Media Center :)

      Holiday Greetings from the Global Health Council :)

      Dear Colleague,

      As friends and family gather together during the holiday season to commemorate the passage of another year, I would like to share with you how the Global Health Council has been making a difference in global health in 2010:
      •We shaped vital global health initiatives that direct resources and opportunities to people living in low-resource settings.

      •We developed, discussed, distilled and promoted smart policy and advocacy solutions to global health challenges. Through convening members and other stakeholders at our Annual International Conference on Global Health, policy and advocacy roundtables, and event series, the Global Health Council leveraged hands-on experience from the field into developing and promoting policy recommendations.

      •We translated global health research literature and messages on critical issues and unmet needs in global health into user-friendly material, and disseminated this information to decision-makers, thought leaders, and the global health community at large, through traditional media, social media, global health networks and partnerships.

      •We highlighted the private sector's role as a critical component in a new compact in global health.
      I am proud of what the Global Health Council has achieved this year to help improve health outcomes and equity for the 2 billion people around the world who live on less than $2 a day. But as we look to 2011, we need your support and investment in the Global Health Council to help sustain the core areas of our work.

      Your year-end, tax-deductible contribution will enable the Global Health Council to continue leading the global health community - our community - in developing a unified voice for a sustainable, integrated health agenda that uses resources efficiently to make a difference in the lives of the poor and vulnerable, and in promoting this agenda with policy makers around the world to ensure that global health remains a top priority within the broader international development agenda.

      Please give generously today by clicking on this link.

      Thank you for your support.

      Jeffrey L. Sturchio, PhD
      President and CEO

      1111 19th Street, NW - Suite 1120 | Washington, D.C. 20036

      The Impact of HIV/AIDS :)

      2010 World Health Report Examines Health Systems Financing,
      December 1, 2010 :)

      World AIDS Day Message from Jurnee Smollett :)

      A message from ANSA Board Member Jurnee Smollett published Essence.com

      Sound Off: Actress Jurnee Smollett on World AIDS Day

      Take Action :)

      I've never known a world in which HIV/AIDS didn't exist. Growing up, images of the virus were sewn into my memory; the colorful panels on the AIDS Quilt; the shiny red ribbons my mom wore; the tragic death of Ryan White; and Magic Johnson's press conference. What affected me most of all was the heartbreaking story of a little girl not much older than I who was born with HIV. Until Hydeia Broadbent boldly shared her story on daytime talk shows like Oprah, it hadn't dawned on me that little girls who looked like me were at risk.

      Initially, news of HIV/AIDS was in everyone's face and got our attention. Over the years -- despite ads, fundraisers, and more -- our community has grown desensitized while the virus continues to silently kill us. Already, 25 million members of our human family have died from AIDS. That's equivalent to the combined populations of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Dallas, Boston, Seattle, Memphis, Cleveland, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Miami, Denver, Wichita, St. Louis, and Washington, D.C. Today, over 30 million people worldwide are living with HIV/AIDS. Over one million people in the U.S. have the disease, and more than 500,000 of them are African American, though we make up only twelve percent of this country's population. HIV/AIDS is the leading cause of death among Black women ages 25 to 34.

      It's one thing to read statistics and another to know people with the disease. Hydeia and I met 12 years ago and have since become best friends. HIV/AIDS is never far from my mind because she and another close friend of mine are living with the infection. They're both talented, intelligent, young African Americans who have never been sexually promiscuous nor used intravenous drugs. You would never know by looking at them that a potentially deadly virus lurks in their bloodstream. But it does. Thankfully, they're each getting medical care that keeps them healthy. They live their lives, have fun, pursue their dreams, have relationships and are careful to not pass on the virus to anyone else. They're proof that HIV/AIDS doesn't have to be a death sentence, if you know your status.

      It's not shocking that HIV/AIDS has impacted my life and people I love. This disease is the worst health crisis in modern history. Negative or positive, we're all living with AIDS; it's part of our world. Chances are you know someone who has the disease though they might not have told you. There is a good possibility they don't even know themselves, because one out of every five people who is infected doesn't know it. Too often people only find out once they are dangerously ill, but it doesn't have to be that way. AIDS is a disease that can be prevented and treated. Free HIV testing is widely available. We all can take simple actions that can save lives: our own lives; the lives of people we love; and those of human beings far away.

      Most of my life I've volunteered with Artists for a New South Africa, a nonprofit organization working in the U.S. and South Africa to combat HIV/AIDS, assist children orphaned by the disease, educate and empower youth, and build bonds between our nations through arts, culture and our shared pursuit of social justice. I've gone into classrooms, conducted seminars on HIV/AIDS, taken part in press conferences, recorded public service announcements, raised money, and spoken to thousands of young people in the United States, Botswana, Swaziland, and South Africa in an effort to empower them to join the fight against HIV/AIDS. Regardless of the country, what frustrates me most is the lack of informative dialogue within our community, churches, homes and schools. That very silence is killing us but that silence can be broken if we speak out and take action.

      We each have the power to help stop AIDS and stay healthy by knowing our HIV status. This is my World AIDS Day commitment: I'm asking everyone I know and everyone who reads this column to join me in getting a confidential HIV test before the end of the year. It's quick and free and it could save our lives. Go alone or make it an event. Grab your girlfriends, sisters, brothers, parents, children, or co-workers. Ask everyone you know to get tested, even if they've been tested before. To find a clinic near you, visit www.hivtest.org

      I've never known a world that was free of HIV/AIDS. When the generation to come turns to me and asks, "What were you doing while HIV/AIDS was ravaging our world?" I want to be able to respond, "I helped to fight the pandemic. I did my part." Please join me. Together we can make a difference. Together we can stop AIDS.

      Jurnee Smollett currently stars in the CBS series, "The Defenders" and as a regular on "Friday Night Lights," now in its final season on DirecTV. She is an active board member of Artists for a New South Africa www.ansafrica.org

      Artists for a New South Africa

      2999 Overland Avenue, Suite 102
      Los Angeles, California 90064 U.S.A
      phone 310.204.1748 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 310.204.1748 end_of_the_skype_highlighting fax 310.204.4277 info@... | www.ansafrica.org

      Facebook page:

      YouTube channel:

      2999 Overland Avenue, Suite 102 | Los Angeles, CA 90064 US
    • reality (aja) :)
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2010
        World AIDS Day Acts :)
        This post on Disabled Greens News and discussion:

        This petition on change.org: