Acts: Help Women in Pakistan Survive and Rebuild; etc..

  • reality (aja) :)
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      Acts: Help Women in Pakistan Survive and Rebuild; etc..
      August E-News: Pakistan Floods, Guatemala Femicides and Gaza Water Shortage

      August 2010

      Highlights from the Month

      Pakistan: Respond and Rebuild
      MADRE ally Shirkat Gah was one of the first organizations on the ground responding to the recent floods in Pakistan. They're also one of the only organizations providing relief specifically targeted at the needs of women and children. Learn more about how Shirkat Gah is responding to the ongoing crisis while planning for the future. »

      http://www.madre.org/index/get-involved-3/current-campaigns-9/help-women-in-pakistan-survive-and-rebuild-209.html

      Guatemalan Women Organize Against Femicide
      Guatemala is facing epidemic levels of violence against women. Over the past decade, almost 4,000 women and young girls have been murdered. MADRE and our partners are promoting health and security for women and families in the Barcenas neighborhood of Guatemala City, one of the places where the violence is at its worst. Learn more »

      http://www.madre.org/index/meet-madre-1/our-projects-20/guatemala-workers-rights-are-human-rights-50.html

      You Can Help!
      Through our Helping Hands Campaign, Flashlights and Whistles for Safety, MADRE will be sending a shipment of flashlights and whistles to our partners in Guatemala soon! Learn more about what you can do. »

      Fact Sheet: Water Crisis in Gaza
      The shortage of clean water in Gaza has reached crisis levels. The World Health Organization estimates that less than 10 percent of publicly available water is safe to drink. The rest is contaminated with microorganisms and toxins that endanger people's lives and cause needless sickness and suffering. Learn more»

      http://www.madre.org/index/press-room-4/news/fact-sheet-the-water-crisis-in-gaza-471.html

      In This Issue
      •Pakistan: Respond and Rebuild

      •Guatemalan Women Fight Femicide

      •Gaza Water Crisis

      Follow MADRE

      MADRE is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization

      MADRE · 121 West 27th Street, #301 · New York, NY 10001 · (212) 627-0444 (212) 627-0444 ·

      http://www.madre.org

      We Stand with American Muslims
      Friends Committee on National Legislation - A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest

      ABOUT US: http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTYz/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5mY25sLm9yZy9hYm91dC8 | DONATE: http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTY0/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cHM6Ly9hY3Rpb24uZmNubC5vcmcvZG9uYXRlL2Zjbmwv |
      TELL A FRIEND: http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTY1/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cDovL2FjdGlvbi5mY25sLm9yZy90YWYvdGFrZS1hY3Rpb24 | CONTACT US: http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTY2/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cDovL2FjdGlvbi5mY25sLm9yZy9jb250YWN0

      We Stand with American Muslims

      At FCNL, we've been sick at heart and concerned at the hate speech, confusion,
      and misinformation about American Muslims that has spread across the country in
      the last month. Many of you have told us that you share our concern.

      The controversy is not over yet. Between today and the September 11 anniversary
      of the attacks on the World Trade Center, we at FCNL expect another outpouring of
      bigotry and misplaced anger at the proposal to build an Islamic cultural center
      in downtown New York City.

      In the first eleven days of September, please state publicly that you stand with our brothers and sisters in the American Muslim community. We support their proposal to exercise their religious freedom by building an Islamic Cultural Center in downtown Manhattan, where they have lived and worshiped for years. Sign the petition here:
      [ http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTY3/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cDovL2FjdGlvbi5mY25sLm9yZy9wZXRpdGlvbnMvZV9vbmx5L3dlX3N0YW5kX3dpdGhfYW1lcmljYW5fbXVzbGltcy8 ]

      Worship, Talk, Take a Stand

      Our country needs this cultural center and the public discussion that it is
      generating. The proposal for this Islamic cultural center can be transformed from
      an ugly controversy into perhaps the most important public opportunity in this
      decade to celebrate and exercise the First Amendment guarantee of freedom of
      religion.

      Many of you are taking this opportunity. From New York to North Carolina and from
      Maryland to Illinois, we have heard about local community groups using the public
      focus on the cultural center to organize opportunities for Christians and Muslims
      to find out what they have in common. To counter the distrust and misinformation,
      more people need to state publicly that they support the freedom of American
      Muslims to worship and to gather together.

      Please start by signing this petition supporting American Muslims and the proposal to exercise their religious freedom to build an Islamic cultural center in downtown Manhattan. Ask 5 friends to sign it as well. We'll add the names of those who sign to the bottom of the petition to show the support that's out there.

      Sign the petition:
      [ http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTY4/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cDovL2FjdGlvbi5mY25sLm9yZy9wZXRpdGlvbnMvZV9vbmx5L3dlX3N0YW5kX3dpdGhfYW1lcmljYW5fbXVzbGltcy8 ]
      Ask five friends to sign the letter:
      [ http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTY5/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cDovL2FjdGlvbi5mY25sLm9yZy90YWYvd2Vfc3RhbmRfd2l0aF9hbWVyaWNhbl9tdXNsaW1zLw ]

      That's the first step, but we encourage you to do more if you can. Here are some
      suggestions.

      * Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper supporting the Islamic Cultural Center.
      [ http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTcw/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cDovL2FjdGlvbi5mY25sLm9yZy9lZGl0b3Ivd2Vfc3RhbmRfd2l0aF9hbWVyaWNhbl9tdXNsaW1zLw ]

      * Find out if the American Muslim community in your area might welcome a public
      or private opportunity to get to know your own local church, meeting or
      community group;

      * On Friday, September 10, many local American Muslim communities around our
      country organize public celebrations of Eid ul-Fitr -- the end of the holy
      period of Ramadan. Find out if Muslims in your area might welcome the
      participation of people of other faiths.

      * Write your senators to ask them to speak out in support of the Islamic Cultural Center.
      [ http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTcx/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5jYXB3aXouY29tL2Zjb25sL2lzc3Vlcy9hbGVydC8_YWxlcnRpZD0xNjM2NDUzMSZ0eXBlPUNP ]

      Best wishes,

      Joe Volk

      Subscribe to this or other email lists: http://action.fcnl.org/r/A/MTQyMTc1/NDYzODY/0/0/aHR0cDovL2FjdGlvbi5mY25sLm9yZy9mdWxsc3Vic2NyaWJl

      Friends Committee on National Legislation | 245 2nd Street NE Washington, DC 20002 |

      http://www.fcnl.org

      Sample talking points :)

      Most of the critics of the Islamophobes intentions are good, yet, they miss many points, it's not a Mosque being built, it's a community center that will have a cooking school, community recreation center, community outreach, etc.; it's planned to be built blocks away from "ground zero", etc.- if you're going to relate a position on a local subject, it's best to get your facts correct, in order not to add to the republican conspiracies attempts to 'use' this issue, of religious bigotry, to pray on the fears of the populace, exacerbated by loss of homes, apts., jobs, savings, relatives in the unnecessary war in Iraq, etc.. Which tea partiers and republicans are doing, as they always do, months before a national election cycle here, to terrorize the polity, hoping to intimidate the voters into voting more 'conservative', republican, than they would, otherwise. The first amendment is clear, and republicans attempts to 'use' this local issue to undermine the first amendment of our constitution, like their attempts to do away with the 14 th amendment as it stands, is religiously bigoted, and racially motivated in general, against Islam, and Islamic immigrants, specifically, etc.; as well as more proof of their pathological lying to commit treason of all kinds, against themselves, their families, communities, states, country, life, religion, God, truth, justice, humanity, progressing civilization, et al. For the tea partiers and republicans are still 'using' divide and conquer, although, because it's becoming less effective they're introducing new angles, and spins on it, to instill fear in the polity, decrease the evolutionary advocacy and activism, and try to permanently replace humanity with exigency, etc.; American dreamism = extremism- addictions to enumerable more variations on destruction and murder will not change the fact that there's no profit and/or pleasure from destruction and murder. Copy and share as you will.

      reality