Healthcare Day of Actions, plus :)

  • thevolutionaries
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2009
      Healthcare Day of Actions, plus :)
      This Action, on Change.org, the url :)

      Healthcare Day of Act +

      http://womensrights.change.org/actions/view/healthcare_day_of_act_

      http://www.change.org/profile/189788/actions

      Important Tips for the Day of Action :)

      Are you attending the Day of Action in DC tomorrow?

      Yes! -- Download your Action Day packet here >

      No -- No problem! Sign our petition to the Senate telling them: No Abortion Ban!

      http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5971/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1333

      We just learned that anti-choice Senators, including Ben Nelson (D-NV) and Orrin Hatch (R-UT), are planning a floor amendment to the Senate's healthcare bill that mimics the House-passed Stupak language limiting access to abortion.

      We were expecting these anti-choice amendments and are fighting back with a National Day of Action in support of abortion coverage taking place in Washington, DC tomorrow.

      If you can't make it to DC (and even if you can!), you can still show your support by signing the Center's petition telling Senators: No Abortion Ban!

      If you're on your way to DC, we've prepared a packet of useful information, including "How to Lobby 101," that will help you deliver the message you want to Members of Congress.

      Visit our website to get a full schedule of tomorrow's events and to download and print copies of important documents that will help you maneuver through the day!

      http://reproductiverights.org/en/feature/no-abortion-ban-national-day-of-action#return-to-top

      I know that you've heard me say this before, but this truly is a do-or-die moment in the fight for reproductive rights. The House surprised everyone by passing the Stupak Amendment, and we absolutely cannot allow the anti-choice lobby to make any additional headway in the final healthcare reform bill.

      As we prepare for the Day of Action tomorrow, I want to thank you all again for the hard work and activism you've dedicated to protecting reproductive rights. We can only win this fight by speaking out and standing together.

      Thanks for all you do,

      Nancy Northup
      President

      120 Wall Street 14th Floor | New York, NY 10005 US

      Health Care is Moving! And Other News :)

      Friends Committee on National Legislation - A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
      Native American Legislative Update Email List

      NALU November 30, 2009: Health Care Is Moving! And Other News

      IN THIS ISSUE:
      + Annual Meeting
      + IHCIA: House & Senate
      + Tribal Nations Conference
      + Update on Tribal Law and Order Legislation

      - ANNUAL MEETING
      We held our Annual Meeting with representatives from Friends meetings and churches around the country November 12-15. As someone new to the staff, it was exciting to meet people who have been passionate about Native American issues for many years. Go to http://action.fcnl.org/r/91383/46386/0 to see our report from Annual Meeting, including pictures from the weekend and audio of the intern speeches.

      - IHCIA: HOUSE & SENATE
      The Indian Health Care Improvement Act (IHCIA) was included in the "big" health care reform bill in the House (H.R. 3962), which passed on November 7. The legislation included the permanent reauthorization of the IHCIA - a huge step in the right direction for Indian health care! The Senate has since introduced its version of the bill, which does not include the IHCIA. Senator Byron Dorgan (ND) has stated that he would introduce the IHCIA as an amendment to any big Senate health care bill, so we anticipate that this will occur. Please write to your senators urging them to support an amendment to include the IHCIA! Go here to see a sample letter: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91384/46386/0

      - TRIBAL NATIONS CONFERENCE (excerpt from Of Peace and Politics)
      On November 5 the White House hosted a nation-to-nation conference with representatives from nearly all of the 564 federally recognized tribes in the United States. This all-day event included participation by members of Congress, the current administration, and the president. It was a great opportunity for dialogue among nations and a symbol of the president's commitment to a new direction in the U.S. government's relationship with its native peoples. The event was opened and closed by President Obama, beginning with an interactive session. However, as the president said, "the most important opportunity that you will have today is to interact directly with the department heads, the secretaries who are in charge of implementation on a whole range of these issues." He urged tribal leaders to "present to them your concerns, your specific recommendations. They are here to listen and to learn and to advise." Discussions over the course of the day covered a range of topics, includ
      ing key legislative opportunities: tribal law and order and health care. At the White House website, you can watch videos from several different panels:
      - Public Safety and Housing: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91385/46386/0
      - Education, Health Care and Labor: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91386/46386/0
      - Economic Development, Natural Resources, Energy, Environment, and Agriculture: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91387/46386/0

      If you are unable to watch streamed videos on your computer, I highly recommend at least reading the text from Obama's opening statement and interactive session: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91388/46386/0

      - UPDATE ON TRIBAL LAW AND ORDER LEGISLATION
      This month, two more sponsors signed on to the House bill and one on the Senate bill. Are your members of Congress co-sponsors of this bill?

      Find out here for representatives: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91389/46386/0

      Find out here for senators: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91390/46386/0

      Learn more about any of the bills mentioned in this or other Native American Legislative Updates at the Library of Congress website. Just type in the bill number or name to see the bill's text, co-sponsors, and schedule for hearings. You can find out about bills that FCNL is following in particular on our website: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91391/46386/0

      -----

      You are subscribed to the Native American Legislative Update list. Make sure you receive these updates from FCNL: Add fcnl@... to your address book : http://action.fcnl.org/r/91392/46386/0

      Donate to FCNL: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91393/46386/0

      Update your email address: http://action.fcnl.org/r/91394/46386/0

      Friends Committee on National Legislation | 245 2nd Street NE Washington, DC 20002 | www.fcnl.org | 800-630-1330

      Single Payer Press Conference Live on C-Span :)

      Good morning.

      Single Payer Action will be holding a press conference this morning at the National Press Club.

      C-Span is scheduled to cover the press conference live at 10 a.m. EST.

      And will play it a number of times over the holiday weekend.

      At the press conference, Single Payer Action will call on Congress to defeat the Obama insurance industry bailout bill.

      Start from scratch.

      And pass single payer for the American people.

      You can see Single Payer Action's story about the press conference here.

      http://www.singlepayeraction.org/blog/?p=1745

      And you can watch the press conference here.

      Thank you for your ongoing support.

      Together we will secure single payer national health insurance for the American people.

      Onward to single payer

      Russell Mokhiber

      Single Payer Action

      Senators: We Need Your Pledge to Oppose Abortion Ban Amendments :)

      Support NOW's Work | December 01, 2009 | Tell a Friend

      Take action NOW!

      Background

      All NOW Actions

      Call Your Senators to Take a Pledge Against Abortion Ban

      Senators: We Need Your Pledge to Oppose Abortion Ban Amendments

      After taking action, please support our work!

      Pressure from abortion rights opponents is mounting on senators to adopt a Stupak-like abortion ban for insurance coverage in health care reform legislation. We are asking that you call your senators today to urge them in the strongest way possible to take a pledge against any legislation containing abortion amendments that would make access more restrictive than current law. Please call now AND send email messages

      http://www.capwiz.com/now/issues/alert/?alertid=14416961

      to your two senators -- this is the most important action that you can take at this time to defend women's rights.

      Be sure to tell your Senators that voting against Stupak-type amendments is not enough. They should pledge to vote against the bill if it contains anti-abortion provisions that go beyond current law.

      Background:

      We are hearing that Sens. Bob Casey (D-Penn) and Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) will soon offer restrictive abortion amendments to health care reform legislation as the Senate begins floor debate this week. The Senate bill already codifies the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits the use of federal money for abortions for low-income women. But that's not enough for some anti-choice senators. Sen. Hatch is expected to introduce an amendment that includes abortion coverage prohibitions like those in the House-passed bill (H.R. 3862), presumably meaning the Stupak-Pitts abortion ban provision.

      "Stupak Lite"? Additionally, Sen. Casey and his staff are preparing a provision that "could be more acceptable to abortion-rights opponents but less onerous than Stupak", according to news sources. Casey has said that the language would be a "compromise that might defuse the issue." Casey claims that the Senate bill's segregated accounts system (allowing abortion coverage but paid only with private funds) does not go far enough to ensure that taxpayer dollars do not pay for abortion. But this so-called compromise would, like Stupak-Pitts, go beyond the codification of the Hyde Amendment.

      Either amendment, if adopted, would greatly reduce women's access to abortion care by limiting insurance coverage.

      The current Senate bill (S. 1796, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) stipulates that Hyde Amendment restrictions would apply to all public and private insurance plans that participate in the health insurance exchanges. Private premiums could pay for abortion services beyond those allowed by Hyde (which prohibits the use of taxpayer money except in cases of rape, incest and threat to the health of the woman). Private premiums would be segregated from public funds which will be in the form of subsidies to help low and moderate-income persons pay for insurance coverage.

      Every vote against restrictive abortion amendments is critically important. It's a safe bet that the more controversial amendments, including those related to abortion will be challenged by a filibuster, requiring 60 votes to overcome. We want to make sure that senators do not vote for any amendment that goes further than the Hyde Amendment; we are asking that they take a pledge to vote against any legislation containing abortion restrictions that go beyond current law.

      Your action in urging that senators take a pledge to oppose any abortion restrictions beyond current law could make the difference as to whether the Stupak abortion ban (or a so-called "compromise" variation of it) remains out of the final bill. House Democratic leaders have promised to remove the Stupak Amendment in conference committee when House and Senate members hammer out the final version. So pressure from women's rights activists is essential -- PLEASE CALL YOUR SENATORS NOW and send an email message.

      and then

      SUPPORT NOW:
      Support NOW's Work for Equal Rights | Join NOW | Monthly Giving | Catalog | Shop Amazon

      TAKE ACTION:
      Get Involved | Find Your Nearest Chapter | Tell a Friend | Learn More

      LISTS:
      Unsubscribe, Edit Profile | Subscribe | All Lists

      This is it :)

      Dear MoveOn member,

      Imagine waking up one January morning and reading this headline:

      "Obama's health care plan dies in Congress"

      I don't want to feel like I could have done more. Do you?

      We're already running our biggest campaign since the election. Now we need your help to go even bigger. If you donate today, another MoveOn member will match your donation-whatever you can give will be doubled!

      To raise $125,000 today, we need 3 people in Fargo to contribute. Your donation of $15 will become $30. Double your impact by making a matched donation today.

      https://pol.moveon.org/donate/health_match_non.html?bg_id=hpc0&id=18092-1718406-P2dtlHx&t=3

      In this crucial moment, we're dramatically expanding our work. We're running a million-dollar ad campaign in target states, mobilizing intense local efforts to push conservative Democrats, and gearing up for a massive day of action next week. And that's just part of it.

      Today, the Senate is starting a historic debate on a health care reform bill-it's far from perfect, but against all odds, it does include a public option!

      Conservatives are escalating their attacks. Led by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, opponents spent $24 million on ads opposing health care reform in just the past month.2

      We have to win this. And we can. We've got millions of Americans on our side. And like we've seen time and time again in this fight, when regular Americans mobilize, the results are powerful.

      Your contribution today will be matched by another MoveOn member. Please chip in $15. Just click the link below:

      https://pol.moveon.org/donate/health_match_non.html?bg_id=hpc0&id=18092-1718406-P2dtlHx&t=4

      Thanks for all you do.

      -Nita, Noah, Kat, Ilyse, and the rest of the team

      Source:
      1. "Business foes of health care revamp ramp up effort," Associated Press, November 17, 2009
      http://www.moveon.org/r?r=85250&id=18092-1718406-P2dtlHx&t=5

      Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 5 million members-no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.

      PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

      Stop Stupak National Day of Action :)

      On Wednesday, December 2, AAUW and coalition partners will join forces for a National Day of Action to protest the Stupak amendment, anti-choice legislation that would jeopardize women's access to complete and safe reproductive health care coverage. Join us in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress and rally on Capitol Hill to protect women's reproductive rights as negotiations over health care coverage move forward. The Stupak amendment, which greatly limits women's access to reproductive health care and was included in the House-passed health reform bill, is the biggest attempt to effectively ban abortion services in years. Similar amendments are already in the works in the Senate. Now is the time to make your voice heard to ensure that language like the Stupak amendment is not included in the Senate bill or the final conference bill. While federal law currently bans the use of federal funds to cover abortion services, the Stupak amendment would effectively force private insurance companies to eliminate abortion coverage for all members, instituting what amounts to a domestic gag rule. Millions of women, including those in private plans, would lose the coverage they currently have. Tell Congress that health care reform should not come at the cost of women's reproductive health. Take Action! Join AAUW in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, Dec. 2 for the National Day of Action. If you can participate, please fill out our online form

      https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dC16eVl1SlJKZ21sbUluWm1DMUhNdkE6MA

      and let us know you'll be joining us. AAUW will assist you in setting up meetings with your senators. If you're not able to make it to D.C. but are interested in participating in a local event, let us know; we'll do our best to inform you of events in your area. Fill out our online form here. Stop Stupak National Day of Action Details and Tentative Schedule: Who: AAUW and coalition partners Where: Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C. When: Wednesday, Dec. 2, 9:30am - 5:30pm Tentative Schedule: 9 - 9:30am: Lobby training 9:30 - 10:30am: Lobby briefing 10:30am - 12pm: Lobby visits (AAUW can assist in scheduling visits) 12 - 2pm: Rally on Capitol Hill 2 - 4:30pm: Lobby visits (AAUW can assist in scheduling visits) 4:30 - 5:30pm: Closing event If you haven't already done so, email your senators

      http://capwiz.com/aauw/issues/alert/?alertid=14329551

      and urge them to oppose any amendments that jeopardize women's access to complete reproductive health care coverage. Then, contact your representative

      http://www.capwiz.com/aauw/issues/alert/?alertid=14329496&type=CO

      about his or her vote on the Stupak amendment. Read more about AAUW's position on health care reform and reproductive rights. The grassroots liaisons in AAUW's new Leadership Corps program will be reaching out to AAUW branch leaders to provide mentoring and assistance. Whether you are a member of an AAUW branch (an officer or not) or a member-at-large interested in becoming involved with other AAUW members, please fill out the online form here to indicate areas of branch programming or administration for which you would like assistance. Washington Update is AAUW's free, members-only weekly e-bulletin offering an insider's view on the legislative process, the latest policy news, resources for advocates, programming ideas, and updates from the Public Policy and Government Relations Department. Subscribe today! Read the 2009-2011 AAUW Public Policy Program. Become part of the AAUW national community and break through barriers for women and girls. Join now. Strengthen AAUW's voice with policy-makers! Donate now. Connect with AAUW online via our website and blog, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

      Take Action Now on Single Payer in the Senate :)

      This week single payer activists across the country are visiting their senators to urge them to support real health care reform: (1) allowing state's to put in place a state-level single payer program; and (2) supporting Sen. Sanders substitution amendment which would put in place a national Medicare for All system. Please take action by sending your senators a letter by clicking here.

      http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/1312/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1794

      And, forward this email to everyone you know so they can join in this effort.

      Also, in preparation for the Mobilization's "Next Steps," the International Human Rights Day single payer effort on December 10th, we have been updating the Mobilization for Health Care for All website. In particular, please see:

      1) The guidelines for Thanksgiving/December actions. Click here to see the guidelines.

      2) The Sit-In Action Guide. Click here to see the Sit-In Guide.

      With your help we can make a difference. Please spread the word, take action and donate today.

      Thank you for your participation in the Mobilization for Health Care for All.

      Sincerely,

      The Mobilization Team

      P.S. Tomorrow, Mobilization activists Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers will be participating in a press conference on the health care debate that will be televised on C-SPAN. Watch for it on television.

      Dawn wants you to take action on "Thank You Senator Harkin!"! :)