GP actions: We Need Your Support for Single Payer; etc..

  • jamesmnordlund
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      GP actions: We Need Your Support for Single Payer; etc..
      This Action, on Change.org, the url :)

      support singlepayer :)

      http://healthcare.change.org/actions/view/support_singlepayer

      http://www.change.org/profile/189788/actions

      Please, advocate for singlepayer healthcare, with CCA, Community Choice Act (for the handicapped, disabled, etc.); H.R. 676 & S. 703, are the best of the lot, so far; i.m.h.o..

      Related group and actions :)

      http://www.singlepayeraction.org//join.html

      We Need Your Support for Single Payer :)

      Back to http://www.GP.org

      In Durham, North Carolina this July, delegates at the Annual National Meeting of the Green Party of the United States chose working for a Single Payer Health Care System as one of the top priorities for the coming year. With your support, we can make this priority a reality.

      The Green Party has taken a strong stand, based in experience, to reform our nation's health care system. All across the country, the health insurance debate rages. The debate is centered around reforming the health insurance companies.

      The Green Party has a tradition of going to the root of the problem. The problem will not be addressed by making minor changes to require health insurance companies to provide a bit more health care to a few more people.... We exist not to dabble in small adjustments on the edges of corporate America, but instead to pressure for basic reforms. The Green Party honors health care as a basic right for all rather than as a rationed privilege only for those who have. We advocate for a Single Payer Health Care System. Our candidates stand firmly for Single Payer when they run for office, our elected officials stand for Single Payer when in office, and our members advocate for Single Payer in their daily lives.

      The idea of health care as a right is not a radical position, but instead is part of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights,

      http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

      the founding document of the United Nations, of which the United States was a signatory in 1948. It states: "Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services"

      Our health care system in the United States is the most expensive in the world. A Single Payer system would cut the cost of health care delivery by as much as one third.

      Our health care system was ranked 37th in 2000 by the World Health Organization. A Single Payer system would be able to deliver better health care to more people.

      Advocating for Single Payer is a protection....

      ...for each of us as individuals. Our nation's health care is only as strong as the weakest link. If some of us are vulnerable to diseases such as tuberculosis, which is among us now, or to any of the predcited pandemics that will come with our population, water, and environmental challenges, then all of us are vulnerable. The future of our nation's health security lies in our willingness to address the health of the least of us .
      ...for our nation's businesses, so that they might more fairly compete with other nations.
      ...for our workers, so that they might be as productive as possible
      ...for our cities, towns, villages, counties, schools, so that providing health care doesn't bankrupt them.
      ...for our children, that they might realize a healthy future.

      Please show your support for the Green Party of the United States, the only political party that stands firmly for a Single Payer Health Care System, and for health care as a right as the most practical way to ensure our nation's health security. Your gift of any amount will strengthen the Green Party's voice for Single Payer. You can donate here.

      Sustainers are our base of support, enabling us to count upon a base level of income each month to pay our excellent staff, to sustain our Washington DC office, and to support advocacy of issues like Single Payer and other issues. Many people find that it is more affordable to spread their donation out monthly. During our time together in Durham, we called for an increase in monthly sustainers from 250 to 500. We want to give you an opportunity to be a part of this effort by becoming sustainers or increasing your monthly gift. With your help we can meet the $10,000 per month goal. You can start your sustainer here.

      If you are already a sustainer, please consider increasing your level by as much as you can by contacting Brian Bittner at brian@... or 202-319-7191.

      If you would prefer or are better able to give a one-time donation, your support will be put to good use as we move forward. You can donate here. Remember, The Green Party takes no money from real estate companies, investment firms, or insurance companies. In fact, we don't take any corporate money because we think corporate money in politics is wrong.

      August 2009 Greenline :)

      College Greens Are Ready to Turn Your School Green :)

      Remember seeing the Campus Greens start up hundreds of chapters a few years ago? Then you're going to love College Greens, the new nation-wide network of college Green Party chapters we are organizing starting today. We want to help all students, faculty members, alumni, and parents meet the challenge put up by the College Democrats and Young Republicans by organizing a better, Greener option at your school!

      Check out the new College Greens webpage,

      http://www.gp.org/College-Greens/

      which will include all the tools you need to organize a fully-functional, vibrant, active College Greens chapter - an organizing checklist, supplemental organizing handouts, sample flyers, links to a Facebook and Twitter page, an on-line form to sign up yourself and your college chapter, and an on-line donation form that helps support our effort.

      We also need your help to steer the effort. If you have experience from your days as a Campus Greens organizer or as a faculty advisor, state or local Green Party coordinator, or leader of another social justice or environmental group, please volunteer to help advise and guide College Green chapters. And, parents, don't forget to send your college student to the College Greens webpage. E-mail college@... to learn how you can help.

      A thousand active, growing College Greens chapters starts with you! Contact us today!

      Candidate Numbers Breaking Records...Races to Watch :)

      Across the country a record number of Green Party candidates are running for office. Many are running for re-election or making a splash with their first-time candidacies. There are currently 144 Green Party candidates

      http://www.gp.org/elections/candidates/index.php

      running in local and state races, nearly ten more than at this point in 2005 and nearly 50 more than at this point in 2007. We called for Greens to promote our values at candidate forums, door-to-door, and on the ballot this fall, and you answered! Here are some races to watch, donate to, and get involved with...

      Allan Brison is running for re-election as Alderman of New Haven, Connecticut. New Haven is a one-party town and Allan is facing a tough challenge from the ruling Democratic Party. You can read about Allan's track record as an Alderman and his vision for New Haven (and make a campaign contribution) at www.allanbrison.net.

      Cam Gordon is seeking re-election to the Minneaspolis, Minnesota City Council. Cam has earned the endorsement of his local Green Party, a local Sierra Club chapter, the Minnesota Nurses Association, and several other area unions. You can contribute to Cam Gordon's campaign at www.camgordon.com.

      Also in Minneapolis, Annie Young is running for re-election to the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board. Annie has served on this board since 1989 and also brings several big-name endorsements to this race. More information is available at www.annieyoung.net.

      Performance artist and anti-corporate activist Reverend Billy Talen is running for mayor of New York City as a member of the Green Party. Earlier this week Billy's volunteers turned in over 18,000 signatures to get the Green Party on the ballot. Reverend Billy's flair for public events has him constantly performing and campaigning throughout the neighborhoods of NYC, including a recent duet with Joan Baez. To read more about Reverend Billy and to make a contribution to the campaign, visit www.voterevbilly.org.

      Annual National Meeting A Huge Success

      The Green Party's Annual National Meeting last month in Durham, North Carolina was a huge success! The event was the most finanancially successful national meeting in party history, and brought together Greens from across the country to discuss our successes and challenges, future direction, and message. Everyone agreed that the inexpensive accommodations and food provided through the North Carolina Green Party and North Carolina Central University were
      top-notch. We also owe a great thanks to the Annual National Meeting Committee, who worked for months to make the event a success and are already planning next year's ANM.

      And they need help! Not only the ANM Committee, but all GPUS committees and caucuses need your time, creativity, and experience to do the important work of ther party. Please consider volunteering for a GPUS committee. You can contact us at office@... for more information to get connected to someone who can help you get started on a committee or caucus.

      Long-Sleeve Ts, Green Pages, and More...

      Visit our online store now to pick up some new Green Party items. Because of your demand, we now carry long-sleeve Green Party logo t-shirts. Perfect for fall! These shirts, like all of our apparel, are union-made in the USA.

      Looking for something a little more professional for petitioning, walking door-to-door with candidates, or going to a town hall meeting? Try our Green Party logo polo shirts. They are thick, dark green, and embroidered with the Earthflower logo.

      When you're out, don't forget to pass out copies of Green Pages, the newspaper of the Green Party of the United States. The Summer 2009 issue is 20 pages of stories from around the country, features on Green leaders, reports from state Green Parties, poems, and more. This issue will be relevant throughout the fall, so order yours now!

      You Can Help Us Reach Our Goal

      Help us reach the goal we set last month at our national meeting of funding our operations with the help of 500 sustainers giving $10,000 a month by the end of 2009. Sustaining pledges of $10 or $20 a month from everyone who reads this message will let us do so much more to support campaigns, candidates, state Green Parties, and our own national outreach efforts. Click here to become a sustaining donor to the Green Party today!

      Donate what you can to strengthen our voice so that we can make our vision a reality. With your help we can provide support for candidates, spread the Green message and assist College Greens in organizing. If you have given recently, please consider giving more. And, if you haven't given in some time, please consider making today the day you give.

      If you can only afford a little each month, you can become a monthly sustainer so your donation can be spread over time. Help us reach our goal of 500 monthly sustainers by 2010.

      The Green Party takes no money from private health insurance providers or pharmaceutical lobbyists. In fact, we don't take any corporate money because we think corporate money in politics is wrong. If you agree, please help us today. Your donation to the Green Party will help make sure we have a strong Green party today and into the future.

      Email: gpinfo@...

      Office: PO Box 57065 Washington, D.C. 20037 202-319-7191 or toll-free (US): 866-41GREEN

      We are not the alternative - we are the imperative. Rosa Clemente