It's Abolition Day - Take Action!

  • james m nordlund
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2009
      It's Abolition Day - Take Action!
      See Below for Special Maryland and New Mexico actions, and more!
      Greetings Abolitionists!

      Tomorrow is March 1st, International Death Penalty Abolition Day,
      which marks the anniversary of the date in 1847 in which the State of
      Michigan officially became the first English-speaking territory in
      the world to abolish capital punishment. It is a day to remember the
      victims of violent crime and their survivors; it is a day to remember
      those killed by state sanctioned violence - guilty or not- and their
      survivors; and it is a day for intensified education and action for
      alternatives to the death penalty. See the link to more info on our
      Blog.

      Abolition Day is especially exciting this year because so much is
      happening in state legislatures to advance our cause. Below are
      several things you can do to help. Please take action now!

      #1 - Take Action in Maryland. (This action is for Maryland residents
      only. If you do not live in Maryland, please forward this to
      friends, relatives, colleagues etc. who you know who do live in
      Maryland.)

      The Maryland Senate will vote on whether to repeal the death penalty
      THIS TUESDAY. The time to act is now! Email your Senator today at
      www.mdcase.org!

      Follow-up your e-mail with a phone call. The General Assembly
      switchboard is 1-800-492-7122 (toll free in Maryland) Tell your
      Senator to vote for a fair vote in the full Senate AND to vote for
      the repeal bill.

      Background:

      This past Friday, the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee voted 5-5
      on Governor O'Malley's death penalty repeal bill. For most bills,
      this would have been its end.

      But there is just too much momentum in Maryland for repealing the
      death penalty - thanks to Governor O'Malley's leadership, the recent
      findings and recommendation of the Maryland Commission on Capital
      Punishment, and people like you!

      The Senate leadership has agreed to consider motions that will allow
      the bill to get a full Senate vote despite the committee's vote. We
      must win both the motions and the repeal vote itself in order to
      repeal the death penalty in Maryland.

      Take action now at www.mdcase.org and please forward this mailing to
      friends or colleagues.

      All of our efforts to end the death penalty must come to bear this
      week!

      #2 - Take Action in New Mexico! (This action is for everyone!)

      Please IMMEDIATELY contact Governor Bill Richardson and thank him for
      openly reconsidering his position on the death penalty, and urge him
      to support HB 285 to repeal the death penalty and HB 211 and HB 284
      to enhance support for murder victim families in our state. A short,
      hand written note sent in the mail is the single most important
      action you can take. You can also call or fax a letter, but please
      send your short note in the mail first.

      Contact NM Governor Bill Richardson at:
      Office of the Governor
      490 Old Santa Fe Trail
      Room 400
      Santa Fe, NM 87501

      Telephone: (505)827-3000
      Fax: (505)827-3026

      #3 - Make certain that you are on your state affiliate contact list
      so that they may reach you quickly and efficiently when it is time to
      contact your state legislators. Click here to learn who to contact
      in your state:

      Especially if you live in the following states, sign up and take
      action TODAY: Encourage people you know who live in those states to
      sign up also. Thank you!

      Colorado - http://www.coadp.org
      Kansas - http://www.kscadp.org
      Montana - http://www.mtabolitionco.org/
      Nebraska - http://www.nadp.net/

      #4 - Make a special Abolition Day contribution to support the work of
      the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty.

      Thank you!

      Yours in the Struggle,

      --abe

      Abraham J. Bonowitz
      Director of Affiliate Support
      National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
      http://www.NCADP.org
      abe@...
    • Mary Neal
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009
        Thank you so much for giving me this good news! I will work on abolition issues a good deal on Mar. 1 because you shared this info. with me.

        Blessings,

        Mary Neal
        http://wrongfuldeathoflarryneal.com

        #4 - Make a special Abolition Day contribution to support the work of

        http://www.NCADP org
        abe@...